IP address

Once again, all my stuff updated and rebooted and I can't connect to Channels because I can't remember or find the IP address, even though I made it static... is it my Apple TV IP, or my ROUTER IP, or my WIRELESS IP or my INTERNET IP, or my iMAC IP????
Not sure why Channels can't reconnect like my other 25 devices... very frustrating.

The IP of your iMac which runs the dvr 192.168.200.2

that what I thought, but its 192.168.1.4 but it not connecting...I've rebooted the iMac again and the ATV

I just submitted diagnostics... please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

What does network settings on the iMac show? Can you load the dvr web UI there?

yes, no problem

Also, my TIVO in the other room is working OK...

Did you try 192.168.200.2

yes,

The Apple TV is reporting no network connection to your iMac. Maybe it's on guest Wi-Fi?

Maybe you need to click that "device security NEW" thing in your screenshot and turn off any security blocking happening.

error: url=http://192.168.1.4:8089/status domain=NSURLErrorDomain code=-1001 description=The request timed out.

error: url=http://192.168.200.2:8089/status domain=NSURLErrorDomain code=-1001 description=The request timed out.

I dont use the security in the nether app... but the ATV appears to be on same network... I guess I'll try rebooting the router again, then the ATV, then theiMac and try to log back on...

Instead of rebooting one after another, try powering them up in sequence:

1. Power all devices off
  2. Power on router (and wait until it's fully online)
  3. Power on iMac, and make sure the DVR is running
  4. Power on the Apple TV
1 Like

that seems to have worked, but its now showing me 192.168.1.16,,,, thank you so much!

Then you didn't truly make it static.

And, while we're on that subject: When you claim you "made it static," do you mean you gave it a reserved IP address in your router's DHCP configuration or you gave the computer a static IP address in its network configuration? Because if you did the latter, and that address is within the DHCP pool on your router, there's nothing to prevent your router from assigning something else the same IP address, thus setting your network up for some very strange behavior.

Which reminds me of a funny story (well... it's funny now): Back in the Bad Old Days when MS-Windows had no privilege separation, thus end-users could do whatever they darn well pleased, I had an end-user up and decide to manually configure the PC he was using to a static IP address. Unfortunately, he chose the same IP address as the primary network server, thus paralyzing the corporate LAN.

Luckily, that was post-10base2 (coaxial) Ethernet and pre-WiFi, so he was hooked-up to a 10baseT network hub. I was able to quickly track the offender down from his MAC address, which I could then associate with a hub and port (the latter of which I immediately turned off--thus restoring the network), then a network jack and its location.

I walked up to the user, who was looking thoroughly confused, and asked him "Just what the h*ll do you think you're doing?" "I don't know," he replied. "Then maybe you shouldn't be doing it?" I replied, and appraised him of what he'd accomplished. He was suitably horrified :rofl:

1 Like