IPTV - Will channels support it?

tv everywhere is iptv. tv everywhere streams are delivered via internet protocol. Again, hdhomeruns cant receive and authenticate television delivered via ip.

Show me where I asked about TV Everywhere? Uverse is IPTV it comes through the cable line. Just like my Spectrum stream, which is NOT THE SAME SIGNAL THAT IS SENT TO A CABLE BOX.

were talking about Channels here, not the one time silicondust offered a cable package service that folded because it was found to be illegal.

this abomination of a thread were people are saying confusing things is not helping the people who are more confused and confusing the people they ask for help.

Debbie saying the prime can still be used for all tve providers and youtube tv is wrong. Someone else keeps asking why cant the hdhomerun cant get tve, etc etc. it doesn't do that, that's not how it works inside this software we are paying for.

2 Likes

IPTV is a generic term and encompasses many different technologies. It just means the video stream is coming over Internet Protocol as opposed to legacy cable transmission, but says nothing about the format/authentication used. Each IPTV implementation is different and they are not compatible with each other.

Uverse IPTV uses a proprietary IPTV format and requires a cable box.

HDHR Premium TV also used their own proprietary IPTV format and required a HDHR box.

Spectrum probably uses standard web streaming technology with proprietary authentication, and requires that you use their app or website.

Countries like UK and NZ have started offering web streams of many OTA channels, which is also referred to as IPTV.

Many dubious IPTV services also exist, which offer legally-questionable streams in a semi-standard m3u format.

The only "IPTV" supported by Channels is the TV Everywhere system, which uses standardized web streams and standardized authentication that works across all major US cable providers and networks.

For other "IPTV" sources, we have no plans to add support. You can check out a project like xteve or Telly to do your own integration, but your mileage will vary and we do not officially support those setups.

6 Likes

your h.264 spectrum streams that your hdhomerun can read is not iptv. its delivered via QAM modulation unlike uverse that delivers it via ip which a hdhomerun cant read. they are both h.264 under different modulations.

now, if your talking about Spectrum TV Essentials, since you are not very clear on those two posts i quoted, thats a different animal then the vague "my spectrum feed" Since traditional Spectrum cable tv is delivered to your house differently on the same cable compared to the way Spectrum TV Essentials is delivered to your house "through your modem" via the same exact cable.

HDHomeruns can read Spectrum Cable, they cant read Spectrum TV Essentials.

Spectrum Cable ≠ Spectrum TV Essentials.

Essentials is one of the packages that Spectrum offers. It is delivered the same way as any other package that Spectrum offers, if you choose to bypass the need for a cable box.

no its not.

Spectrum TV Essentials : offers a set lineup of 62 cable channels (but no local broadcast or sports channels) for $14.99/month.

The TV Stream and TV Essentials options require Spectrum Internet service and must be used with Spectrum's apps for either Roku, Apple TV, Xbox One, Samsung Smart TVs, internet browser, or iOS or Android devices. The TV Choice option can be used with either the Spectrum apps or with traditional cable boxes or CableCARD devices.

Nope, you don't need a cable box at all in my area. I had their Silver plan and only needed an Apple TV. For the streaming plans, you don't need an Apple TV. Essentials is delivered no different

oh god. its because you were using their "iptv" streaming app and probably saved yourself a box rental. it is delivered differently if you had a cable box but you just cant seem to understand the delivery method. thats why that "iptv" stream from your apple tv cant be seen by the hdhomerun.

if you get a hdhomerun prime and a cable card for your silver plan, then yes, the hdhomerun can see it. because its delivered differently! via the same cable!

if you cant see that, then you're going to have a hard time trying to troubleshoot things here.

So now now you are saying it's IPTV, when the entire time you said it wasn't. Making your entire argument nonsense.

its ok to not understand the world around you and just expect for the lights to go on when you click the switch, but your screwed if you're the one tasked to change the switch and you cant comprehend whats it is being said to you.

if you want to continue this argument, i suggest you familiarize yourself with how cable systems work compared to how any of their "iptv" implementations work instead of continually arguing that "its the same because its the same line" and "why doesn't it work with my toaster".

p.s: do i have to explain to why there are quotes around a word regarding the context of this thread? because i am not.

Here is your post since your memory is lacking

Debbies xfinity tv and your spectrum is not IPTV nor does it come through your modem or her internet, it’s delivered via coax as QAM alongside your intent connection on one cable. You don’t have up tv, you have regular cable, hence it needs a cable card in order to decode the QAM in order use a hdhrprime.

that's way before i had to pull teeth out of you and finally say that you have the silver plan and for you to stop saying "i have spectrum via the same cable so why doesn the hdhomerun work" (im paraphrasing if you cant understand that either)

you say this: I understand that, just wondering if there is a way to use that stream with channels. It's different than Sing, Dtv now etc because it's tied to my home internet only

which is not true if you have the silver plan. its tv essentials that is tied to your home internet.

you're all over the place.

good luck with whatever you have because you or anyone else has no clue what you pay for but please, continue trying to put that square block into the circle hole.

I think what Debbie is saying with XFINITY you get both TV through Cable Card and TV through IPTV using a Roku and other partner devices.

1 Like

First off learn the difference between Had and have. Which I used the word HAD. Currently I HAVE choice. Which is irrelevant because they both don't need a cable box and are IPTV. Every package is tied to your home internet if you CHOOSE the streaming option instead of a cable box.

Yes. same with Spectrum, but you don't need a cable box for any plans.

Correct.