IPTV - Will channels support it?

Here in NZ, more and more of our local TV channels are offering IPTV streams as well as OTA DVB-T streams. Will this be something Channels will support or maybe looking at supporting in the future? It would be so handy if you want to free up one of your tuners for recording etc.

1 Like

There are no plans to support IPTV streams at this time.

1 Like

What a shame as it allows people who can’t get an OTA signal to have the freeview channels. Here’s an interesting thread from NZ regarding what OTA freeview channels in NZ are progressing for people who can’t get OTA signals.

1 Like

Why?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: MetroNet Fiber TV (no CableCARD offered)

20 posts were split to a new topic: MetroNet Fiber TV (no CableCARD offered)

My Spectrum feed comes directly through my modem in H.264 I guess that's called IPTV. I wonder why my Hdhomerun can read that, when it was able to provide premium tv.

I don’t have a cable card. Don’t even have a cable box. If it uses Clear Qam wouldn’t my connects work.

So what kind of stream am I getting through Spectrum? It can't be the same as cable because I don't need a Stb.

Without knowing the details of your account, no one can say for certain. But, Spectrum does offer a streaming only plan. With this plan you use an app to access your streams, just the same as Sling, Philo, DirecTV Now, etc. And, just like those other providers, Spectrum offers login credentials for use with TVE-participating networks that work with Channels.

I understand that, just wondering if there is a way to use that stream with channels. It's different than Sing, Dtv now etc because it's tied to my home internet only

If it works the same way that Spectrum's app works with regular cable subscriptions, it's only partially tied to your home internet.

With Spectrum's app, not all channels are available for streaming unless you are connected from your home internet connection. (This is determined by you IP address. If Spectrum is streaming to the same IP address that it has assigned your modem, then it is streaming to your home.) This "home streaming" gives you access to all of the channels that you subscribe to.

However, when you try to access your streams from outside the home—meaning that the IP address you are attempting to stream to is different from the one assigned to your modem—then only some of the channels are available for "live" viewing. The channels that are only available for "home streaming" are usually the local broadcast channels, some sports channels, and others that place requirements on streaming access.

Except most channels are blocked. Besides premiums I get 4 out of 10 channels I subscribe to.

They're blocked even when accessed from "home"? If that is the case, then you definitely need to contact Spectrum's support, because that shouldn't be the case.

If you mean they are inaccessible when viewing away from home, then there's no problem, as that is the way it is supposed to work.

Right that doesn't answer my question why the stream can't be used by my Hdhomerun

You need to ask at the Silicondust forum.

A post was merged into an existing topic: MetroNet Fiber TV (no CableCARD offered)

They sure can Premium TV was using the connects to get IPTV. No hardware is needed to use TVE.

jeez, no one seems to understand this.

read and understand this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Everywhere

you pay spectrum for a bunch of channels, spectrum gives you a login that you can use with tv everywhere so you can watch the tv channels you pay for via their respected apps and websites whether you use it at home via spectrum internet, or at home if you pay someone else for internet and you pay Spectrum for TV, or at Grandma's home with dial up.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION. CABLE BOXES OR HDHOMERUNS. hdhomeruns and the tv everywhere streams have nothing to do with each other, they are not meant to be used together, never were and never will. Its like asking why your gas car wont work if you put diesel in it.

So, instead of you going through the tnt website or tnt app to watch tnt with your spectrum login, espn website or espn app to watch espn with your spectrum login, etc, etc, Channels TVE aggregates all these website/app streams that you pay for with your spectrum tv package and presents it nicely to you.

2 Likes

Gee you don't understand. This thread IS NOT ABOUT TV EVERYWHERE. It's about IPTV.