Is Chromecast with Google TV a viable client in 2024?

Hello,

We use Channels mostly as a DVR, though sometimes watching a recording in progress, with three different clients:

• Chromecast with Google TV with 4K
  • Chromecast with Google TV HD
  • Apple TV 4k

The Apple TV 4K works great. The two CCGTs are terrible! Every time we skip forward / backward, it is a hold your breath affair. Sometimes it works, but often bad things happen: long buffering, the video stream crashing and exiting to the main recording menu, the stream skipping to a totally unexpected location (this is particularly aggrevating when watching a recording in progress where skipping forward often leads to the stream moving all the way forward to the live broadcast -- argh!!). There are also annoying audio / video sync issues.

I have tried using CCGT with both WiFi and ethernet--both connectivity options have the same problem. I have also turned down my streaming rate to 4 MB/s. This does seem to make the problems a bit less frequent (I think....), but they still happen.

So, I am wondering:

• are these problems that I can debug / fix?
  • Or should I give up on CCGTs as Channels clients?
  • If I give up on CCGTs as clients, is there a highly recommended budget client solution for Channels? (It's a bit spendy to have to go replace both CCGTs with Apple TV 4Ks.......)
2 Likes

I have 2 * Chromecast with Google TV (4K model) and do not have these issues.

When you skip, tape the forward or backward direction for each 30 seconds forward you wish to go and back for 15 seconds. That's the default. It is OK to tape faster than the video is moving forward or back.