Is Homerun really necessary?

Do you really need to use Homerun to have Channels DVR to function properly? I can’t get all my local channels without a rotor to turn an antenna in the right direction. That’s why I have used DirecTV or FIOS TV for 25 years. I want to cut the cord because it is getting too expensive. YoutubeTV offers local channels with it’s offering. Can you configure Channels DVR to use YouTubeTV as the source of your local channels? I was hoping to combine a couple streaming services to supply all the channels I wanted plus movies. I was thinking of maybe using YoutubeTV with Philo, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus or AppleTV. I would like to have an all-in-one channel guide for the whole thing and set up a NAS to record as the DVR. Is this dream possible?

You don't need to use HD Homerun. I use Locast for locals and Philo. YouTube TV is supported as a TVE source, so you should be good there. You cannot integrate Amazon Prime or Disney Plus, however. I just use the Amazon or Disney Plus apps when I want to watch content on either of those.

With YTTV you will get no Warner channels IE TNT TBS, NO CBS. and at the most NBC , ABC AND FOX for locals. With cable, you should get Warner, but the same limitations with locals.

1 Like

I just checked the YoutubeTV channel offerings on their website and they say all those channels are included??? So what is the truth? Is it an EverywhereTV issue?

YTTV doesn't have access to Warner or the locals mentioned TVE.. Go to TNT.COM and look to see if YTTV is a available to log in. Channels doesn't record off the YTTV website, so you won't have access to those channels.

To be clear you’ll be able to access those channels directly through YouTube TV, they just won’t be available to Channels.

Are those same channels available to Channel DVR thru Philo TV? I wanted to combine YTTV with Philo TV to get all the channels we like. So it doesn’t matter to me which service provides them to Channels.

Check each Provider Thread on here to see what each provider supports what TVE station on channels.

What channels?

If you can't find another solution to get you local stations to record with channels DVR you could always go back to using your antenna. It might add a little cost, but you can generally get used parts on eBay pretty cheap.

Just ditch the rotor and get two antennas (pointed in different directions) and two HDHR boxes. I do this to pickup all my locals. Works great.

1 Like

It's confusing. I started a thread several weeks ago on this exact thing, only to find out there are separate apps to configure. I got sidetracked and haven't gotten my antenna yet, but that really is the way to go.

1 Like

But you could get two antennas! Hooked up to two HDHomeRuns. This is what I do. Channels integrates everything perfectly. The quality, speed, and fluidity of the interface is second to none. If you are just trying to get your locals without rotating your single antenna, an additional antenna is going to give you much better than the locals you would get with a TVE account through a streaming provider.

It would be simpler to attach the two antennas with a splitter/combiner. That way the HDHomeRun would receive from both antennas. An example would be https://smile.amazon.com/2512-ChannelPlus-Passing-Splitter-Combiner/dp/B00006JPEA/. You would, then, only need two equal length cables from the splitter/combiner to the antennas -- that eliminates ghosting.

1 Like

That is not simpler. Using two HDHomeRuns eliminates a lot of problems that will need tweaking if trying to combine two antennas into the same wire. And gives you more tuners, doesn't require measuring cables, matching antennas, can even work with broadcasts from two different markets. Channels is specifically designed to work seamlessly with multiple tuners from different sources.

3 Likes

Yet, it works for me. I have three antennas and 10 HDHomeRun tuners with a single cable from roof to storage room -- an additional splitter then separates that cable to the HDHomeRun devices. The cables from the antennas to the splitter/combiner have to be the exact same length in case of both antennas pick up the same signal. If that is not the case, the length doesn't matter.

In any event, $9.00 is cheaper than stringing duplicate cables.

1 Like

Yes, doing the fiddling and measuring will end up being cheaper, for sure.... especially if user only needs/wants one hdhomerun worth of tuners.
But, the amount of work is greater when figuring in the set up time and ensuring that the combined signal is not messing up signal from any channels before being combined. Not to mention that every time you add a splitter/combiner to a coax feed you are attenuating the signal a little bit. And it is possible for the antennas to interfere with each other if picking up signals for the same stations.

Sure, it will work both ways. And both can be done with great results. But your method, which is more involved and requires more planning, is not quite as simple.

A separate HDHR method, like I originally suggested, requires much less work, just pointing the antenna and plugging it in to its own HDHR, which Channels will incorporate seamlessly into its interface.... and in the case of aiming the antenna, you know exactly which channels belong to which antenna, making any installation adjustments easy.

You are overthinking it. What I described does exactly what you describe. There is no "setup" time, you simply connect the cables. If the cables are the same length (any length), the antennas cannot "interfere with each other [ghosting] if picking up signals for the same stations." In other words, if the antennas can't pick up the same signal, the length of cable is unimportant.

Ever try and Ethernet adapter? Thinking of getting once since now I can only pick up NBC on the other end of the house.

1 Like

"Ethernet adapter?" Got my attention... can you give an example of what you are referring to?

Something like this
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-powerline-av500-nano-adapter-starter-kit-white/2080136.p?skuId=2080136&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1266837&ds_rl=1268709&ds_rl=1268652&gclid=CjwKCAiAzJLzBRAZEiwAmZb0apdQXQrHCGMHSmiU1zAigaSXR8asg0HIabWh0u34K8OZ1WJZmzirsxoC5OcQAvD_BwE

I have 2 Hdhomeruns, one I can move to another area

1 Like