Is Homerun really necessary?

Channels does not actually record from YTTV. It uses your YTTV credentials and TVE to log in into to the network website and capture the live stream if available. You would need a Homerun/antenna or paid Locast to receive your local stations.

If you have Apple TV you would use it to access the Channel's app, Amazon, Netflix, Disney. You would not use one app to view everything, but you would use one device to view all the apps. If you wanted one app to view all your content on one screen, check out Playon. It records content from various sources Att TV, Disney+, HBO. But it does not show live tv and only records the shows when they are available On Demand not live(as Channel DVR does).

Looking fo something else, I came across this YouTube video that explains it better than my attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToeZWV5ifjA

"This video gives information on three ways to combine two separate TV antennas to pick up TV signals in different directions."

We understood what you were saying. There are other ways to do it too, if user is accessing all content via HDHRs. Combining the RF on the coax is not a requirement.

I guess I missed the part where the HDHR gets the signals from multi-antennas. How is that done?

You usually use multiple HDHRs, one per antenna. Otherwise, you have two options:

1. A coax coupler/diplexer, which merges the signals from 2 separate coax feeds into one, or
  2. The reverse splitter method: use a coax splitter in reverse. The caveat with this option is that the coax cables from the splitter to the antennas must be the exact same length, otherwise you may experience issues such as ghost signals on the line.
1 Like

Isn't that what I said?

I guess I was wrong, I came up with another stupid question to ask, since I can’t the answer on the website. Somebody mentioned Playon, so checked them out and was liking what I read until they said their DVR can only record mp.4 files in 720p. No full HD or 4K. In what format and quality can Channels DVR record movies and shows? If am going to cut the cord, I want to maintain the quality of viewing that I am used to, or improve it!!! Can Channels DVR record in 1080p and 4K video and can it record full surround sound (7.1.4) with Dolby Atmos if the streaming service provides that level of programming?

Channels records whatever it is given. For most (HD) OTA streams, this is 1080i or 720p, usually with 5.1 AC-3 audio. For cable, the HD streams are usually 1080p or 720p, again with 5.1 audio.

Streams recorded from TV Everywhere sources are equal to what is being served on their website, which is usually 1080p (albeit with a low bitrate) with stereo audio.

If your cable provider offers 4K feeds (as some FiOS and other customers receive), then Channels will record the 4K feeds.

Channels' software does not change the incoming feeds. Feeds may be transcoded to lower resolutions or bitrates, but that is up to you, not the software.

1 Like

racameron beat me to the answer.

TVE streams resolution vary by network, but none that I can see are above 1080i. Many are 720 because TVE was designed for mobile device use not large screen TVs. audio is stereo.

HD Homerun for OTA is 1080i. audio is 5.1

Very few broadcast programs are higher than 1080. You could also use your TV tuner to watch the programs(usually sports) that are broadcast higher.

Channels DVR runs on tvOS and records at the resolution that comes in. It will scale the resolution depending on the device you are streaming to and selection you make(lower if streaming over cellular) .

The advantage to PlayOn is the ability to record VOD (Video on Demand). I can find no way to do that with Channels DVR (admittedly, I am a CDVR novice).

I am unsure how important this is but I replay the PlayOn recordings through a Yamaha RX-A3080 (9.1) AVR to a Vizio PQ65-F1 television set. Not being technical enough to know exactly how to get the specifications, I used the TV "System Information" to tell me that it was receiving a 2160P signal (3840x2160 60hz). The Receiver shows DD+. Now, whether the AVR is upscaling or not is above my paygrade.

All I can say is that the picture is of equal quality (to my old eyes) whether watching the recording or live through the same receiver. The sound is the same also -- at least 5.1 (but with a 9.1 system, who knows?).

The 2160p is the capability of the HDMI cable and your TV is upscaling. Which device are you using for playback?

I can accept that. The AVR is probably doing something with the sound also -- although each speaker has unique sound.

Since I don't use PlayOn's Cloud storage, I can only use ROKU to watch on the TV (well, discounting Casting). Shield doesn't have a non-cloud App and Fire Cube is, for some reason, incompatible.

I think you have some sound processing going on.

One does not even need two HDHomeRuns, just two antennae with an RF combiner, although two HomeRuns will give double the tuners.