Is it safe to use Nvidia shield pro as my channels DVR server?

I have my channels DVR server in my PC (love it) but am thinking of switching to nvidia shield pro (latest model). I read there were some issues here
Is everything cleaned up and safe to switch or are there caveats I should know
Thanks

You can but you’re almost always going to get more reliability and performance in your pc.

thanks - please elaborate

Not much to elaborate on. Shield is underpowered compared to a PC. I wouldnt take a step back if i were you.

It depends if you are the only user it should be ok... But do not use it as a client also

I’m the only user

Whats your reasoning for wanting to move from a computer to a shield? Maybe it help to start there

2 Likes

The computer works great. However, pretty much Channels DVR server is all that I use it for, so I was hoping to eventually retire it. Also, I (mistakenly ?) thought that the Shield woudl perform better b/c it has a better graphics card then my cheapo card in my PC.

Yes channels server can run on shield. It does work. But it would not be my first choice. But it will work.

‐-----------

Find a cheap used laptop. drive).By cheap i mean $125 craigslist/facebook/ebay laptop. Upgrade the storage (internal ssd or add external USB

Wam - bam - thank you ma'am.

It will be faster then shield (more streams)
Laptop consumes less enetgy then desktop
Built in battery backup.

What kind of laptop you ask. Well ummm. . . Anything modern-ish. Channels isnt super demanding.

I think (could be mistaken) GPU only comes into play if your live/trancoding.