Is reading/writing to external USB 2.0 fast enough?

Is USB 2.0 connection to an external drive fast enough to use with Channels app?

Yes should be fine for 2-3 simultaneous recordings

What about for playback? Seems I’m getting a lot of delays lately when playing shows back, like 4-5 seconds for every skip forward. I don’t recall this happening in the past. I have another Mac I’m considering swapping in place that has a USB 3.0 bus. I’m currently recording to a 2TB USB 3 EDD (not benefitting due to 2.0 bus). Would connecting to a USB 3 system help in this case? Also, would it be worth it to upgrade to a 2TB SSD drive? Prices have dropped to ridiculous lows, but if it won’t help performance it’s still not worth it.

Thanks.

Usually bottleneck is at the network layer not the USB/disk layer. Have you tried running a speedtest between the DVR and TV using the instructions in the pinned FAQ topic?

I have in the past, but not recently. Here’s what I got:

Yea that's the problem. We recommend hard wired connections in which case you would be seeing 900Mbit/s if you had a gigabit switch and an Apple TV 4K.

Of course! I have 4th Gen Apple TV, but no 4K, so only 100Mbps port. I disconnected Ethernet, I believe, after reading another thread on here that performance may improve over 5Ghz Wi-Fi. I just plugged back in and am getting the following. Performance is noticeably improved. Thanks!

1 Like

As a follow up, would ATV 4K better practical performance?

The 4K has a gigabit port, so yes you would notice much faster seek speeds. Other than that its not much different.

Thanks again. I’ve been a Channels user since Jan 2017. Your support and responsiveness was great then, and it’s still unequaled now.

2 Likes