Is there PIP for channels apple tv?

I’m unclear if PIP functionality is available using channels on my apple tv. I’ve seen threads mention PIP, but they seem to be geared towards Ios devices. Thanks

PIP is not available in the tvOS SDK like it is on iOS (iPad).

The ESPN app for Apple TV has “multicast” allowing you to view up to 4 streams at once. That would be nice to have as a feature.

1 Like

The ESPN app implement this themselves and the multiple windows stay inside the app, unlike PIP on iPad.

The ESPN app, like many other apps, uses a video format that doesn’t require the CPU to to be utilized. The video format coming from the HDHomeRun is not natively compatible with tvOS or iOS and has to be decoded in CPU. This uses up most of the CPU while playing, leaving not enough CPU to do a second stream.

maybe a niche solution but what if the user has asked their HDHR to transcode? could you then display multiple videos?

Is having the Channels DVR do the transcoding an option?

Personally what I would like to see instead of full PIP is to have a small window keep playing video while I browse the guide. I would like to keep watching the show (or at least hear it) while I browse the guide or try to start a recording. You know… doing OCD ADD things :slight_smile:

1 Like