Is Windows the best OS for Channels DVR?

I plan to repurpose a tower PC that I have been using for Windows Media Center, into a Channels DVR server. Should I leave Win 7 on it? or switch to Win 10, or Ubuntu? I would like the most hassle-free OS.

It will have a wired Ethernet connection to an AppleTV 4K.

Specs:
CPU - Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000
4 GB Ram
SSD drive

Thanks.

I would recommend Ubuntu.

If not, Windows 10 or 8 would be preferable to Windows 7.

Thanks. Would the Ubuntu Desktop LTS version work well? I’m “somewhat” comfortable with the server version (but not an expert by any means), if that would offer significant benefits for this hardware. I’m also ok upgrading the cpu to an i3 or i5 if that would be worth the cost.

Any version of Ubuntu would be fine.

Your processor doesn't support Quick Sync for video transcoding (https://ark.intel.com/products/53480/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G620-3M-Cache-2-60-GHz-), so an upgrade would help with that. But honestly it will work just fine as-is.

I am curious about the unattended software update and rebooting the Windows 10 does every now and then, and how that would affect the Channels DVR when it is recording. Windows allows you to configure a time frame for unattended reboot, but not to disable it from the settings. I have googled for solutions and seen some ways to reconfigure Windows to not reboot unattended. Is the Channels DVR able to prevent the Windows from rebooting while recording?

1 Like

Yes the DVR will signal to the OS that it is busy whenever recording (or watching), and will also prompt you if you try to reboot/shutdown manually. I believe this ties into the automated updates as well but I am not 100% certain.

1 Like

If you use Windows 10 Latest it will decode DRM channels. IF this is a problem for you. My dealbreaker with Channels was no DRM as my cable is 90% drm. so I use Windows 10 Box and I can watch all the channels now. Just my Opinion.

The latest version of Windows 10 Home and Pro (v1903) allows updates to be paused for up to 30 days. Pro also allows Feature updates to be delayed up to 1 year.

It's not that I wouldn't want to update, being that it's a DVR, I would just want to control when it updates.

For a more force-full approach I'm experimenting with a program called StopUpdates10 by Greatis Software. Freeware, It claims to 'Take your Control over Windows updates.' So far it appears to work as advertised.

2 Likes

What's the benefit of running 10 or 8 over 7, aside from the impending end-of-service?

I'm running Channels DVR on 7 right now but wasn't really planning to migrate it until I had to in January unless there's some advantage in doing it now.

The Windows EOL is the main issue. Some drivers don't work as well on Win7 and can cause problems hardware transcoding.

1 Like

Wow I didn’t know this! I am in a Spectrum area for cable and they DRM almost everything. I tried a cablecard in my HDHR Prime and quickly gave up. I have my server on an nVidia Shield but would gladly move it to my Windows 10 PC if it means I can get full DRM decoding support!!!

I think there is some confusion here. Channels cannot utilize DRM channels at all.

If you need to view DRM content with CableCARD, you only have 2 options: WMC (meaning Windows 7 or 8.1), or SiliconDust's View app.

If you need to record DRM content with CableCARD, your only option is WMC.

OK thanks for the clarification. That was my assumption all this time as well, but was shocked to read what I quoted from Dudleydogg regarding Windows 10 and DRM and figured it was worth investigating.