Issues with VC-1 codec playback

I searched the forum on this and the only few threads I found didn't seem to cover what I am seeing exactly so I decided to create a new thread.

On any bluray rips I have with the VC-1 codec won't play well on the Apple TV device. It will play fine for about 1 minute or so then the video playback seems start playing in slow motion but the audio stills plays fine. Everything then gets out of sync and after about 10-15 seconds of this the video starts playing really fast to catch up to the audio. It will then go back to playing normal for another minute or so then repeats the same thing above all over again.

I know there are issues like this with the VC-1 codec. I see the same issue when I tested it in Plex and Emby if the video file is being direct played. If it is being transcoded then it also plays back fine but that is because that is the purpose of transcoding on the fly.

I submitted diagnostics from the Apple TV app when it happened and I played around the experimental settings for playback both for audio and video and that didn't change anything.

Is this a known issue or is there some setting I can play with that may fix it if it's a known issue?

If not, then I may just re-encode those files to h.264. It comprises about 20 movies of my 900+ ripped bluray collection.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am seeing the same thing still with episodes of The Office ripped from their original blu-rays that have the VC-1 codec. I am using a recent generation of the Apple TV4K for playback. If I use the Plex app on the same Apple TV device, then it plays back just fine, so I'm thinking it is something particular to the Channels server and/or playback software.

I re-encoded all the video files I owned that were in that codec to one that plays normal. I only had about 30 so it wasn't too bad to do it with handbrake.

Gaaaa, ok thanks. I was trying to avoid that, mostly out of sheer laziness. There are soooo many settings in Handbrake - I'm just looking to convert it to the correct codec to make it play decent, without losing any video/audio quality. And I understand the conversion process will probably cause some loss, but I'm looking for the least amount of it I guess.

VC-1? Boy...that's one ancient codec. Yeah...I don't think Channels support that. Plex/JF/Emby/Kodi will play that

Otherwise yeah, use Handbrake/ffmpeg (or even better tdarr or Fileflows) can convert that to hevc or h264