Issues with Web viewing

What's this mean?

2019/03/30 20:47:07 [HLS] Starting transcoder for channel 720 from 10.0.. (encoder=remux, resolution=720, deinterlacer=, bitrate=6000)
[ac3 @ 0x7f9993024400] exponent -1 is out-of-range
[ac3 @ 0x7f9993024400] error decoding the audio block
Error while decoding stream #0:2: Error number -16976906 occurred
[ac3 @ 0x7f9993023e00] expacc 125 is out-of-range
[ac3 @ 0x7f9993023e00] error decoding the audio block
Error while decoding stream #0:1: Error number -16976906 occurred
2019/03/30 20:47:40 [HLS] Stopping transcoder session ch720-dANY-ip10.0.. @ 31.881856s
2019/03/30 20:47:40 [TNR] Closed connection to 1318E96D for ch720

Those are harmless messages indicating corrupted audio packets. What is the issue you're experiencing?

Web viewing has become almost impossible for me since the latest software update (I can't quantify that, TBH). I can't maintain a stream for more than probably 5 minutes before it simply stops. I have zero issues when watching shows via native apps on my iPhone, Apple TV, or iPad, so I assume transcoding is coming into play here. I sure wish there was a native app for macOS. Web streaming is just painful. And to clarify, this is web streaming at home, not even remote.

I also see issues streaming Live TV to Safari and Firefox, not so much on Chrome.
Streaming recordings are not an issue.

I assume by the channel you are streaming Live TV from Comcast with an HDHR Prime (since SDust Premium TV is dying and doesn't use that ch#) and the channel is AVC/H.264 HD since your DVR is remuxing instead of transcoding.

When you stream this with a web browser, your DVR computer will remux the live stream to convert the AC3 (Dolby) audio to AAC which a web browser can support.

So the signal comes into your HDHR Prime, gets input into your Channels DVR (Mac mini?), remuxed and written to a folder on your DVR computer in small pieces, then sent out over the network to whatever web browser client you use to view it on.

So you have network traffic from your HDHR Prime to your DVR computer, DVR computer remuxes it and re-writes it out in small chunks (~1 sec each) called HLS segments to your DVR computer hard drive and then sends those out as requested to your client browser over the network which is constantly asking your DVR computer for new chunks (segments). Lots of moving parts.

I have issues with Live TV remux and transcode for web viewing locally. Until this is solved, I'm not attempting remote web browser streaming.

P.S. Just wanted to add that sometimes you will see cable and ota broadcasts where the audio drops out (corrupted audio packets) for anywhere from a split second to many seconds and this may be the issue with the remux failing. Depending on the player it may stutter, repeat or just drop the audio and video to keep in sync.

1 Like

Web viewing has never been as seamless as with the native apps, but lately it's become almost unwatchable, which is a real shame.

This is fixed in the latest pre-release: Unable to remote stream because of audio issues

1 Like