Jitery playback of mpeg2 atsc recordings

Hi,

I'm a new user of Channels, but a long time PVR user (since 2004). I'm a SageTV refuge hoping to retire my HD300 & firestick combos in favor of ATVs everywhere.

I have noticed that playback is occasionally jittery. I have the latest Apple TV 4K using a wired 1GbE ethernet connection to my server. Recordings are US ATSC mpeg2 720 or 1080i recorded from an HDHR. TV is an LG OLED.

The stuttering is most evident in sports. I've been through most of the options, and have the ATV settings set to match HDR and Frame rate, as well as to match content in the various channels settings.

The only thing that seems to help is to use the legacy video driver. I'm not 100% certain yet that this is a real fix, as the problem is not consistent. If it is a real fix, is there any danger of the legacy driver disappearing?

I don't think that this is related to deinterlacing, as I see it on 720p content as well.

I just realized that channels will output xbmc-like stats on dropped frames, so I'll watch for that the next time I see stuttering.

Playback is buttery smooth on a amazon 4K firestick.. I even moved it to the same TV as the ATV to confirm it was nothing about the TV.

Thanks for any help,
Drew

1 Like

I have a similar issue on my 2022 AppleTV when watching live sports. I wouldn't call it a stutter so much , but rather the video looks very slightly choppy for a few seconds every minute or so. It sound very similar to the issue you are having. I need to check and see if it is happening on my fire stick as well.

What source does this happen on?

Tips

Make sure that you have all motion smoothing and enhancements turned off on your TV. If the TV says it makes things better, turn it off.

Set your ATV to 4k SDR 59.97fps and match content and frame rate

Thanks for the reply. The source is my HD Home Run Prime. I don't have any motion settings enabled on my tv (LG CX). Match content and frame rate is already enabled, but I will definitely try 4K SDR and see if I notice a difference.

Edit: I wanted to add that I just switched from hardware to linear in the deinterlacing settings and am not seeing the issue at the moment. Not sure if that could have been it or not.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.