Jumpy/ Pixelated Image

Looks like they range from 3 db to 20 db. Any recommendations?

Also, which should go first the attenuator or the LTE filter when hooking them up?

Personally I'd do the filter first, but I've never combined them, so perhaps experiment and see what works best.

Put on another splitter and that got the signal down to 98%. Picture looked a bit grainy but was only able to look very quickly. Would a splitter make an image “grainy”. Seems weird in today’s day and age of digital signals. Filter and attenuator arriving on Sunday so will play with them as well. Thanks for your patience with this!

Is the HDHR Prime used? Maybe tuners are defective or going bad?

Yes, it is a used unit. Would love to buy something new directly from SD but that is not an option. Could tuners actually “go bad” over time? Sounds strange to me. Seems more likely that they would just fail after a certain length of time. Thoughts?

Not really sure but I would think that could be a possibility. Maybe ask seller if they had a similar reception issue with the one you bought?

Are you hooking it up to the exact same cable line that you used for your previous cable box? Did that cable box have reception issues? Do you still have old cable box to test the current spot where you are hooking up the HDHR?

Another way around this problem, for access to all or most of your channels depending on your cable package, would be to add TV Everywhere as a source. TVE streams are stereo not 5.1, but the picture quality may look just as good to you.

Found this interesting tidbit in the top positive Amazon review:

While watching live TV or when Channels is recording, open up the HDHR Prime web UI and check the tuner status.
You're looking for the Signal Strength in dBmV, -1.9 in this example.
If it's over 0 dBmV it will still show 100%, that's why you should look at the dBmV value.

Tuner 0 Status
Virtual Channel 706 KVIEDT
Frequency 129.000 MHz
Program Number 5
Authorization subscribed
CCI Protection unrestricted
Modulation Lock qam256
PCR Lock locked
Signal Strength 97% (-1.9 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (37.6 dB)
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 4.180 Mbps
Resource Lock 192.168.1.4

US Cable specs are 0 dBmV +/- 12 dBmV
For cable TV on a Prime you want it between -9 dBmV to +9 dBmV, 0 dBmV being the target.
Too strong a signal affects tuner channel changing speeds and can relate to a host of issues and causes. A signal strength of +15 dBmV can damage the tuner if left on for extended time.

The Signal Strength will vary depending on the channel (frequency) you've tuned.

Forgot to add...
If you record with Channels DVR a log entry is created after the recording finishes showing stats for the Signal Strength, snq, seq, bits/second and packets/second, like this example.

[SNR] Statistics for "TV/Celtic Woman Ancient Land/Celtic Woman Ancient Land 2018-11-24 2019-12-28-1923.mpg": ss=97% snq=100% seq=100% bps=3800608,3466720-4519520 pps=366,336-432
1 Like

If you want to go a bit deeper you can see what channels are on what frequency and what the Signal Strength is on those frequencies.

Two step process.

What channels are on what frequency?
Visit this url in a web browser and then do a "Save webpage As" from the web broswer to save the web page as an xml file.
http://x.x.x.x/lineup.xml?show=all&tuning
where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your HDHR tuner.
When you examine the xml file it will show you what frequency each channel is on.
I import this into an excel spreadsheet and can then sort the entries by Frequency, then Channel.

What is the signal strength of each frequency?
Run the following from a windows command prompt
"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF scan /tuner2 RESULTS.TXT
where FFFFFFFF is the specific HDHR tuner Device ID, using FFFFFFFF will run the command against ALL devices.
where tuner2 is the tuner# of the HDHR to use for the scan
This will take awhile and will use tuner2 to scan and save the results in a text file RESULTS.TXT in the directory you run it from.
It scans every possible cable frequency.
You'll want to look for the results that show LOCK: qam64 or LOCK: qam256
immediately following that on the same line is the Signal Strength, snq and seq
Example in my case shows frequency of 129 MHz has a Signal Strength of 97%
SCANNING: 129000000 (us-irc:15, us-cable:15)
LOCK: qam256 (ss=97 snq=100 seq=100)

I ended up hooking up an LTE filter as well as an attenuator. Things seem to be much better and the picture quality is great. I do see a very minor blip/pause when I first tune to a station within the first 20 or so seconds, but that is me paying super close attention (I doubt a casual watcher would notice anything). Thanks to everyone for helping me!!

1 Like

Glad you finally got it sorted out.

1 Like