Jumpy/ Pixelated Image

Finally have my cable card working with all channels. Getting a jumpy/pixelated picture when first tuning into a station. After a few minutes, it seems to diminish and the picture seems to be fairly clear. Any idea what this could be (very annoying when switching from channel to channel). I believe I have a strong RG6 cable connection to the Prime, have 1Gig internet, and have a robust AC WiFi router system in my house. Would love to get this thing working as smoothly as possible, the wife’s patience is running thin!

Usually indicated packet loss on the network. Check the Tuner Status page via my.hdhomerun.com for Signal Strength/Quality and Streaming Rate

Initial pixelation I've found is normal, especially with MPEG2 cable channels. Usually it takes a second or two for the stream to deliver a complete scene's information. Pixelation and other artifacts are usually because the received packets are information modifying a previous image that hasn't been seen by the decoder, so it looks blocky.

What numbers are considered “good”?

Are the server and HDHR connected to the same switch?

My HDHR is connected to a switch while my AppleTV unit is connected wirelessly to the same network.

Is the HDHR connected to the same switch as your Channels DVR server?

DVR Server is connected wirelessly (MacBook Air).

Would it make any difference if I had everything wired to the same switch?

Most definitely. It's OK for most clients to be wireless, but your tuners and the DVR server itself definitely ought to be hard-wired. Otherwise you're just asking for latency and bandwidth issues.

Going to move the DVR server to a wired laptop tonight. What role does the DVR server play when not watching a recorded show? I figured the wired HDHR was sending out the live TV signal right to my AppleTV. Thanks!

If tuner sharing is on, then all streams go through the DVR server. If tuner sharing is not on, then streams from the HDHR tuner go directly to the client. OTA and cable streams can be high bandwidth, and if your wireless network is congested or has any interference, then all of your wireless clients will suffer.

What is the benefit of "tuner sharing"? Sorry if the questions seem basic!

If multiple clients are watching the same channel, or if you want to watch the channel live on a client while recording on it to the DVR, only a single tuner is used. Without tuner sharing, every access to that channel by the DVR and each client uses a separate tuner. So if watching a single channel live on a client, and a program starts on that channel that is scheduled to record, the DVR will open a second stream (using an additional physical tuner) to record the program, if tuner sharing is on, all streams first run through the DVR, so only a single stream to any channel is ever open at once.

TVE and Locast streams always operate as if using tuner sharing, as the DVR must initiate the stream for those channels.

I switched the laptops so the DVR server and HDHR are both wired to the same switch. Looks like it made a difference (I owuld say it eliminated 60-70% of the issue) but I am still seeing some pixelation and jumpiness. I just ordered an LTE filter for the cable feed, thinking that might be a cause. Is there anything else that might be causing this or that I can do to get my picture rock solid steady. Thanks everyone!

What are your signal levels? Are they at 100%, or are they slightly lower? 100% is the hardest to deal with, because the signal may be too strong and need to be reduced/attenuated in some way. SD's software/interfaces do not inform you how far over 100% you are, which is a shame because their tuners are quite sensitive to over-powered signals.

Yes, they are at 100% - ugh. I was hoping the LTE filter might help with that. Is there another solution?

Add an extra splitter in the line and see if that makes a difference. They also make a device called an attenuator whose purpose is to reduce the signal; it's placed in-line like the LTE filter.

Am I looking to get the signal to a particular percentage? i.e. 90-95%? Is there an ideal number?

I usually kept mine in the 85-95% realm. This is an unfortunate problem with HDHR tuners ... they are not nearly as resilient as those built into TVs or STBs from cable companies. (The advantage is that once you have your line set to the right level, the chances of it changing too much is not that likely.)