Kodi Add-on

I do the exact same thing with NextPVR, Channels, and Kodi. It works as a stopgap for my media center PC in the living room, however it does not provide as nice of an experience as the Channels app on my Shield TV. The time shifting is terrible. And changing channels takes up to 15 seconds.

I would gladly volunteer to beta test and troubleshoot either a Kodi integrated PVR, a standalone Kodi addon, or a dedicated Windows PC app (or all of the above, I'm greedy), so that I can truly take advantage of Channels in my media center PC.

2 Likes

Same here. I would love to have a pc app.

I would much rather have a PC app than integration with Rotten Tomatoes.

3 Likes

Late to this discussion. I am running a KODI (Librelect) on RPie 4. Is there a plug in that will let me view and watch tv from my Channels DVR on a Kodi front end?? Does it work on the RPi4

There is not a traditional Kodi PVR add-on for Channels, but there is an add-on that does allow you to interface with Channels.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=357406

It should be available from the official Kodi repo under (I think) Program Add-ons.

I can't speak to how it will perform on the RPi4, but since it's Python add-on (and not a binary one like the PVR add-ons that have to be complied for each platform) it should at least run.

Hi pkscout,

I tried that one on Matrix but I could not get it to work, or find any documentation for it. It does open and show "live channels, favorites etc.." but no guide, LIVE TV option on the Home menu or anything like the Fancy Bits one posted on this thread (which won't install on Matrix). I think you are supposed to link it somehow with the IPTV Simple Client addon but I couldn't figure that out either. Not sure if Channels generates an .m3u playlist or XMLTV guide data (which is needed for that addon).

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Ken

Any idea when this Kodi add on for Matrix will happen?

5 Likes

I use Plex server and Kodi with the PlexKodiConnect add-on, and it works pretty well until hopefully a true add-on appears. The one big limitation I care about is when watching time shifted live tv. Once it gets to the end of the tv program, you can't skip forward or back. By end of tv program, I mean the end time when the tv show was started. It will continue to play past the time shifted portion, but if you select skip forward or back, it goes to that fixed end time when you started the playback.

Thanks for the reply. I am not a Plex fan...tried it a few times and despise it. I plan on never using it again.

What didn't you like about it and what do you use instead as a server. I think Plex is amazing for serving up video and audio. I don't use it for OTA so it is free. It is as solid as Channels as a server and does other things too very well.

1 Like

Plex and Kodi integration...

I don't like Plex because you have to pay for a Plex pass in order to record and play live tv. I pay the $8/month for channels because I can play and record the TVE channels as well...a better value...it's worth the extra 3 dollars per month. I can record and play the ota channels for free using NPVR and Kodi. I am unemployed because of the virus and my wife and I are living on Social Security...every penny counts as well as value.

2 Likes

I dumped my $145 cable bill about 10 years ago. First TiVo OTA and now Channels for locals and (free)Plex+Kodi for the management and playback. I would be surprised if a Kodi add-on for Channels would be an upgrade for my setup but I hope to be proven wrong. If Plex got TVE support, that would really be interesting and worth the $79, Plex lifetime charge.

Agreed.

I highly doubt Plex will ever go the TVE route..
They're working hard on signing content deals to get direct access, unlike how TVE works. They are trying to be the next Pluto TV/Tubi/AVOD business that sold for hundreds of millions of dollars.

If you really wanted too, you could export the channels stuff into m3u8 and xmltv files and then import them into Plex, but their Live TV integration is much weaker than Channels, so I really don't see the point.

The Kodi addon is open source as well, so if anyone has some go skills they could take a crack at updating to v19 since tmm1 seems busy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Developers
Kodi 19 is out for months now.
Any eta for this addon on Matrix?
Thank you.

The Kodi PVR add-on for Channels DVR has been updated to be Matrix compatible:

4 Likes

Looks like playback of live TV is not working in that version. I will work on a fix tomorrow.

3 Likes

Latest version v2021.09.22.1717 with fixes for live playback:

1 Like

Hi
Thank you very much
It seems to be working just fine.