KTLA 5 News

Thanks so much for adding KTLA 5 News. Works great. This keeps getting better all the time.

There is a slight problem, though. Channels merges the TVE/streaming channel of KTLA News with KTLA-DT, the actual broadcast channel. So, if my TVE source is a lower priority than my OTA/cable source, then the KTLA News stream (6973) does not show in the guide.

Oddly though, if my TVE source is prioritized over ORA/cable, then I get both KTLA-DT and KTLA News in the guide. Unfortunately, if I keep it that way, then TVE streams are prioritized over cable channels, which consumes internet bandwidth that would otherwise be free if Channels uses the OTA/cable source for those channels.

Is there some better way to manage channel/guide mappings? I know this is getting into a difficult game of how to stack and prioritize many disparate layers, but I think there's room for a slightly better middle ground here ...

Which client is this on? The channels don't share a name or guide data so they shouldn't be getting combined.

This is similar to the other All News Channels from ABC, CBS and more. Not sure why you are point out KTLA but like @tmm1 said it is different so not sure of the problem. Even if exactly the same with the same guide data (which it is not) you could disable one of them. Also, you can prioritize source in both the DVR and client.

I noticed it on the FireTV client. And no, it does not happen with the ABC, CBS or NBC news streams from TVE sources; that was the reason why I specifically commented on the KTLA example.

As far as not sharing a name for a guide mapping, when I look at the mapping in the web UI, the right-hand side where the Gracenote channel/stream identifier is given is blank.

Disabling one of them is an option, but doing so will disable a channel. Regarding prioritizing sources, I already explained why prioritizing the TVE sources over the OTA/cable sources is not the preferred course of action.

(I suppose I could look at how Channels merges my channels across sources and clients and not those instances that I find incorrect or exceptional, I just hadn't felt the need. The reason I commented on this was after I saw this, I checked my installation: the KTLA News channel was present on my TVE sources list, but was not present in my guide, so I wanted to know why. My FireTV devices did not show the KTLA News channel, nor does it appear on the web UI's guide listing; it does however appear on the guide of my iOS devices.)

FYI... My KTLA 5 TVE Channel (MPEG4) which is mainly what is use remotely is streaming at < 4mbps. My KTLA 5 OTA Channels (MPEG2) was streaming about 16mbps. So huge difference.

This is why I personally what ALL of my channels to be TVE. Even around the house on the LAN would not hurt to stream at 1/4th the bandwidth when you have a number of TV's playing at the same time. And I do understand I could use compression and take a hit on my server but why would I do that if I could have native MPEG4 streams.

1 Like

The KTLA5 News stream available via the TVE source is not the same as the OTA broadcast channel. Also, the bitrates offered via OTA streams are higher (and therefore higher quality) often than the low bitrate H.264 streams via TVE.

While pushing low bitrate H.264 video across your home network is good for managing congestion in the home network, it sometimes means less quality than the higher bitrate streams from OTA broadcasts.

1 Like

As for KTLA5 News the quality is secondary important because it is simply News. But seems fine to me. Also, yes it is not the same is OTA KTLA 5. OTA is about 80% News and TVE is 100% News. The non News is pretty bad but I think they may be a couple shows that are watched. But my Daughter in Law mainly wants to watch in the morning. So they start 1 or 2 streams (mostly 1) and watch the News for "hours" a day. So, if you put both in Favorites (or they fix the SORT) then easy to see if there is something on the OTA to watch. But again very low priority.

As far a TVE in general vs OTA. To me TVE is very good. Maybe I would not notice the difference. But assuming there is a minor difference I would not personally care. Maybe sports fans would see more of a difference which I seldom watch.

Is KTLA News only available to people in the LA area, or is this something that should be showing up everywhere? It doesn't appear on my channel list but be nice to have for police chases, etc.

I do not know but guess everyone. It is at the very bottom - Channel 6973. Currently says LA-KTLA 5 but I think they are planning to rename to KTLA5 News but not positive. Maybe only on the client.

6973 doesn't show up in my guide. How are you all watching it?

It is at the bottom of ALL TVE Sources. In my case Hulu Live TV is my first TVE Source so it is at the bottom of that. Do you have any 6700 channels? Which TVE Source do you use? I guess it is possible @tmm1 restricted it to LA area but we would need to ask him. Hopefully he sees this.

I think the addition of the KTLA News channel was made after the latest stable release of the DVR. In order to access it, I believe that you need to be running a pre-release version of the DVR from within the past week or so.

I have 6700 channels showing in my guide but no 6900. I'm with Spectrum. When I go into the channels settings I see it show up way at the bottom as 6973 but it has an arrow pointing to the right pointing at nothing whereas all the other channels show logos and stuff.

I am in the LA area.

Yup I just did a control upgrade this morning when I saw this thread. (greedy for more channels)

Since you're in the LA area, you may be experiencing the same client bug I see with this channel: Channels merges the KTLA News TVE channel with your OTA/cable KTLA, and doesn't present it in the guide. If you move your TVE source to a higher priority it will show. (No idea why they are being merged, but I have experienced this problem.)

Then you found it. You should also see it in your GUIDE if sorted by Channel at the bottom or under L if sorted by name. @tmm1 plans to make it look "nicer" with a nicer logo in the future app beta (at least on ATV). But there will be NO GUIDE. It will simply says News.

It will also show up under On Now. Like any channel you can select the channel and add it to your favorites to make it easier to find until the sort is fixed. The plan to add under K for KTLA in the future for the proper sort in the client.

Even when I put TVE on top of my OTA it's still not showing. Yours shows when you do that right?

Well what do you know. The channel shows up on my iPhone but not the web. I don't really care as long as it shows up on my Apple TV. Will find out after work.

Not really sure what you mean. As you know you have your DVR Sources that have a particular order. My OTA is last since it only has those channels not used by any of my other Sources.

TVE Channels "only" show up in TVE Login Sources. Not with HDHomerun's.

On your client you also have all of the Sources and each client can have it's own Source order.

Anyway, I have 2 DVR's and 8 Apple TV's (seldom use my iPad's or iPhones for this but have in the past). I have not problems getting everything on all of my clients. I add my source order the same for all of my clients but that is my choice. If you are using a client with the NEW SORT ORDER maybe you are using NAME ORDER instead of Channel Number Order which would mean it is under LA-KTLA5 for now.