Lag/janky guide page, channel logos

Not sure what changed in recent updates, but I, and my other user, have noticed, that browsing the Guide page, is not smooth anymore. (my mother says its been laggy for a while now)

It is quite laggy/janky when you go up and down.

The Channel logos are loading in each time you go up or down several sections, and that seems to cause the slowness.
They used to only have to load in once, and they would be saved and always show.

There is a maybe half a second lag now in scroll response, i dare say it is the most laggiest i have ever seen Channels been. The Quick Guide also feel sluggish.

I recall starting with some version, a post here stating there was a decent performance boost in the Android version, which at the time, when i updated to it, I for sure noticed a better smoother experince....however, it has now reverted and is quite bad. Not sure when it happened, there have been quite a few updates to both sever and beta apps in the last month or so.

I do recall noticing missing channel logos, in the web ui only though, and I did run the Refresh Channel Logos in the server, and that brought them back.
There was some post here of others having missing logos for a while in the clients(i never had that issue) but something about a new logo provider change over or something?

Since it appears to lag due to the channel logs loading in for me, I think that must be realted.

It stared happening at the same time, to both my Shields, and to my TS4K (which as not have had it app updated in a while) and in my CCGTV that i use for testing and other things. Have clear app cache, re-installed app, rebooted clients and server....no change.

Would be nice to get back the buttery smooth and responsive experience again.

Clear your dvr image cache:

did that no change. still janky and re-loading the channel logos every time i go up and down.

Clear cache on android afterwards.

I cleared the Channels app cache....that did the trick on my Shield Pro that I use.

The tube Shield in my Living room, it helped, noticeable improvement (after it took forever to reload the images initially, it is still reloading some channel logos when u scroll up/down, but overall all, it is much smoother.

Have not bothered with the TS4K or CCGTV yet...

Had the same issue for a couple of weeks and tried everything to fix. I have 2 Shields, one the "tube" model", which was fine. Took a reset on my Pro to fix it. The odd part was it was only part of my guide that was lagged beyond usability, once I scrolled past the locals from my HDHR to the Pluto channels it was smooth as silk.

I also have an odd combination of a newer HDHR and an original legacy HDHR, thought it was something to do with that until the Android TV reset fixed it.

I've noticed the same problem on the latest release app for the apple TV, but I don't notice the problem on the latest beta release for the apple tv.

Chief

1 Like

There was an issue with Gracenote images. They were serving out huge versions of images. This was using a lot of memory.

We resolved this in our image proxy as well as inside the beta version of the apple app. We’ll get the others fixed soon.

Even though it’s been mitigated, your app might still have the large images in its cache.

3 Likes

You can go into Android settings under Apps, find Channels and click Clear Cache.

1 Like