Last Channel

Since it’s football season it would be nice to have a way to automatically to quickly flip between channels to follow different games.

On my Harmony remote I have favorite channels that make it easy to flip back and forth on the TiVo.

Way back when I briefly had a FIOS DVR there was a last channel button.

Not sure how you could implement this in ATV or the the Fire interface.

I’ve read ATV can do last channel by double pressing enter but I’ve never got it to work on Android TV

I’ve gotten it to work on our Fire TV, but it’s erratic. App needs configurable double-click timing, IMO.

Double click the play/pause button to switch to last channel on both the Siri and FireTV remotes.

2 Likes

Can now also confirm it works on Shield with Harmony remote (so presumably any Android TV with Harmony)

Double click the play/pause button for previous/last channel on Apple TV. I programmed this sequence on for my harmony and assigned it to the previous channel button (back arrow below the channel up/down buttons).

Thanks! It works on ATV, I’ll try it on the FireTV when I get a chance.

2 Likes

Is there any way to do this on Android TV/Nvidia Shield ?

It’s already in there.

It works if you use a remote with play/pause button, eg Harmony

Thanks…I was wondering if you can do it with the shield remote… Guess not

You can, but it isn’t easy. Because you have to tap the touch area twice just to pause it, you need to tap the touch area 4 times with perfect timing to get it to work. You may be able to get used to it after a lot of practice, but I’d definitely recommend using a different remote if you do it a lot.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the explanation… I’m think I’m fine with backing out to change channels… Was just curious but I’ll give it a try lol :grinning:

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I am having trouble with the last/previous channel feature using my Harmony 650 remote with the Nvidia Shield TV. I have the Play and Pause buttons mapped to play and pause from the Shield, but doing the double click of either on the Harmony remote does not return to the previous channel. If I use the Shield's remote it works fine (doing the 4 quick taps), but I use the Harmony as my main remote and would like to use with it. Any ideas?

If you can map the Harmony to the BACKSPACE key that will switch to the last channel.

There doesn't seem to be a Backspace key command for my Harmony 650 remote. It is strange since all the other commands work as expected except this one. The play and pause buttons even work, they just don't do the previous channel command when I double click them.

Set a macro for the Previous button to send 2 Play presses; that's what I did.

1 Like

Tried the macro and it didn't work either. I'm starting to thing this command doesn't work on the Harmony 650 being an IR remote. Whereas the Shield TV remote is bluetooth I think. Anyone with a Harmony IR remote and a Shield TV Pro have this command working?

For anyone running across this thread with the same issue, I finally got this working with the Harmony IR remote and Shield TV (non-Pro version). I ended up buying the Flirc USB IR receiver and mapping an unused Shield TV button on the Harmony remote to the Backspace key in the Full Keyboard profile on the Flirc.

Thanks to tmm1 above who suggested this key mapping. I guess it just won't work using the built in IR receiver on the Shield Pro I was originally trying it on (at least I couldn't figure it out).

1 Like

Is there a user guide somewhere that has other tricks like double click for last channel in it? I couldn’t find it on the website. Would be helpful for users to get a list of features like this in a user guide instead of searching here. I bet you you can crowd source the writing of the guide among the community. I’d be happy to chip in.