Latest server update (2023.12.28.0146) will not run on Windows 7

I received the automatic update and according to logs it installs fine. However, the channels process does not show in task manager and the application simply does not run. no activity in windows event log or channels-dvr.log. It says goodbye after applying the update.

My prior version v2023.11.13.2159 can be launched, but there doesn't appear to be any way to keep it from reapplying the update and shutting down almost immediately.

The OS is Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 Service Pack 1 and has never had problems before.

If you are no longer supporting this OS, there should have been advanced notification. It will be quite a bit of work to replace my server. I can't imagine I'm the only one still using WHS.

What can I do to get running again?

Do you see anything in the event log related to the DVR? We didn't intentionally break anything, but that is certainly an old OS. We do what we can to test updates, but there are limits to what we can test for OS's that Microsoft ended support of in 2016.

Edit: see you said you already looked in the Windows Event Log. We'll see what next steps we can come up with for trying to troubleshoot this.

As a sidenote, I used WHS 2011 myself until EOL. You can very much replicate what this OS offered using Windows 11, Stablebit DrivePool, and Veeam Backup & Replication.

Also, could be done using Windows 10, and those same packages if your hardware is worth re-using -- but not supported by 11.

1 Like

Same thing happened to mine. Channels DVR now won’t load in the system tray. I am running an old Windows OS as well but haven’t had issues before.

Cannot access channels DVR server on my windows pc. Issues just started last night.

2 Likes

what version of windows ?

I finally fixed it by going to an earlier version of channels.exe and was finally able to access server. The latest update must of broke something. I am using windows 7. How can I prevent future updates that break it?

Cindy

1 Like

How did you get the old version to keep running? After mine finished "housekeeping" processes, it immediately upgraded again and shut down. So my first attempt appeared successful for 10 minutes, and later attempts didn't even last a minute.

Uh oh. I had to change the port and give access to port.

In regards to Windows 7 vs Windows 10, I grabbed the channels executable from my WHS server and tried running it on my dual boot PC. Under windows 10, it ran. Under windows 7, it did not. So same exact hardware, just older OS.

So there appears to either be a windows version check added, or some new API call that the earlier windows did not support.

Maybe they could suspend the current upgrade until it can be figured out? that way we can run the older version?

We are looking into this.

This doesn't effect me, but I would like to offer a suggestion for the future.

Maybe ChannelsDVR could suspend automatic updates of stable releases on OSs that have officially reached EOL. Maybe just have Channels indicated that an Update is available but warn it may not necessarily be fully compatible with the OS version.

3 Likes

Maybe updating to Windows 10 for those using Windows 7 is a great option update is free ... unless you are still using MCE. At least you get 2 more years of updates.

1 Like

Updating to windows 10 is last resort, but if it breaks again maybe no choice. I’m hoping port change fixed it permanently.

Are you talking about updating port in Channels DVR if you did you have to contact support to get access outside your home unless you are using tailscale.

No it’s working now with access in home.

We're looking at trying to get a short term fix for this, but in the long term, it's becoming clear that we aren't going to be able to continue to support these EOL'd OS versions forever, so if you are able to upgrade, that's going to be a good route.

Our first attempt at a fix was unsuccessful, so we're having to look further.

1 Like

Having same issue with Windows 7, 12.28 build... November build runs.

How can we keep it from upgrading?

AS Erick said it gets difficult to continue supporting EOL OS's and move to new updates that Current OS's support. Channels Support has to support EOL Os's and support new features that new OS"s have to offer.

1 Like

These operating systems are outside of our supported list. We support Windows 10 and up. While they may have worked, they were never tested nor supported by Channels DVR Server.

The fact that they worked before the last update is not exactly relevant. Working and technically supported are two different things. That they worked was just sort of a bonus for those that were using them.

I would not exactly describe this as breaking “out of nowhere” as, again, these operating systems were not supported to begin with.

They worked because they just happened to work.

That being said, like @eric mentioned, we’re going to try to resolve whatever was the final straw on these, so that it works for the unsupported operating systems and provide a grace period to give everyone the time they need to get their Channels DVR Servers on a supported operating system.

1 Like