Latest tvOS build changed PIP functionality

Maybe I never noticed this before, but I believe this just changed in latest beta for tvOS.

When using PIP and going back to the guide, PIP window shows properly. When selecting another channel, it switches to full screen.

Using stable release, selecting another channel while in the guide stays in PIP (which is what I'd expect functionality to be).

Note - this is version 6.25.116. Build 6.22.310 does not have this issue.

I’ll check it out. Thanks for describing the steps.

Could we have an option to select between the two behaviors? I loved how with the latest version I could go into PIP, scroll thru the guide, see a show I wanted and select it and the PIP would go away and go full screen with the new show. Now with the latest beta, if I go PIP to the guide, and then select a new channel, that channel is still PIP but the rest of the screen is just black, not the guide anymore. To me that has no use. Why would I want the new channel in a little box on a black screen?

I also found a possible bug in the latest beta for PIP. If you go to PIP, select a new channel to watch you get what I describe above. BUT, if you press guide again, now you get the guide with an empty black PIP with nothing playing.

I'm OK with a switch but I like it in PIP when I'm navigating the guide. I might select a new channel and want to see what the show looks like while I continue to browse for other shows that I might like better lol.

Going full-screen just requires another press of the select button.

But that is not what it's doing for me. If I select a channel from the guide while in PIP, the guide goes away. The only way to get back to the guide is to exit out of PIP. (see picture 2)

I think I had that issue in an earlier beta release - are you running the latest?

yes, the beta from a couple of days ago worked correctly, but the one that I updated to overnight has this issue.

So I found something interesting. If I go to PIP using the Toggle PIP command in client settings that is when I get the black screen behavior. I had been assigning that to a key on my Harmony remote.

But, if I go to PIP using the on screen icon then it behaves properly letting me pick channels from the guide and not going to a black screen.

@eric

Any thoughts on why PIP is not acting properly when using the PIP toggle command?

It's a bug in the beta.

@mtnbkr60 I've tried to reproduce what you're describing on the latest TestFlight beta and have been unable to make it happen. Every time I click on the guide entry for the currently playing channel it moves from the PIP window to the full screen video player and the PIP window disappears. I've tried it by going into PIP via the shortcut key as well as just by hitting the "back" button on the remote to bring PIP up.

Please make a video of what you are seeing submit diagnostics along with uploading the video to: https://www.dropbox.com/request/MMjICRc053JJpSBPDIfQ

This was resolved in this build:

1 Like

@mtnbkr60 Looking at your diagnostics I was able to understand what your settings are that is causing this to happen. You have all of the Automatic PIP settings disabled and are only using the button. I've been able to replicate the issue and am looking into a fix. Thanks for reporting it.

The latest beta should resolve the issue. Thanks for reporting it.

1 Like

Thx