Library Collection Sort Issues on Android Beta

On the latest Android beta (v2024.03.02.0146), Movie/TV Show items within each Library Collection no longer respect the Sort setting on the server, and instead default to alphabetical sorting; this only happens on Android TV & Fire TV (the items are sorted correctly on Android mobile (Android 14 API/34)). On the latest Android stable (v4.6.6) on TV and mobile platforms, the item sort within Library Collections correctly respects the server settings.

I tried out different Sort settings on the server, such as Date Added and Date Released, but the client still sorted the items alphabetically regardless. However, the client did still respect the Order setting: for example, with Sort set to Date Added and Order set to Reverse, it would actually be sorted in reverse alphabetical order on the client.

I'm seeing this issue on two Android TV devices and a Fire TV, all running v2024.03.02.0146.
I've submitted diagnostics from two of these devices:

• Fire TV 4K Stick (Fire TV 7.1.2 API/25): 9339351d-0d77-49dd-810a-af038357bdde
  • TCL Smart TV (Android TV 11 API/30): b26e6fdd-7d80-458e-926a-0ec83ca875a5

I see there was a Android Beta that was supposed to fix this...

#### v2024.03.13.1651

FIXED: Ensure the list of Collections are sorted appropriately
IMPROVED: Additional crash reporting diagnostics

However, I am still experiencing the same thing you are even after I installed this Beta. All my Collections are sorted Alphabetically regardless of what the server settings are. It shows correctly on the admin page and follows the sort order correctly, but the client never changes.

@tmm Is this still a known issue?

I am seeing the exact same behavior EVERYWHERE. Not at the top level, but in every single sublevel.

Recently Added Movies...

... are alphabetical:

Top Rated Movies...

... are alphabetical:

Recently Updated Shows...

... are alphabetical:

Recently Added Show...

... are alphabetical:

Recently Aired Episodes...

... are alphabetical:

Recently Watched Shows...

... are alphabetical:

Collection Order...

... is ignored and is alphabetical:

Devs, every type of sort is broken on Android/Google TV. Everything seems fine on mobile on the same version (2024.03.13.1651).

Hopefully the Devs are aware and are working on it. It is hard for me to find the programs I want to watch currently since the collections default to alphabetical currently.

Android version is currently undergoing a bit of a unification as the mobile and tv views all were powered separately. This is why mobile is working differently than tv. These are some growing pains so please bear with us.

Please use the release version for now if you are disrupted by the beta.

1 Like

I'll be looking into this ASAP, we've had a lot of changes in this area in the beta and it's proven to be more of a challenge than you'd think. One question, do you have the Enhanced Library feature enabled?

Thanks Ani, yes, here are my Enhanced Library settings:

Thanks again for the information, this should be fixed in v2024.03.20.1014 (the current beta build)

Sorry, no dice. Everything is the same as above except that it seems to be honoring Order.

So, for example, even though this Collection is for Duration, it is showing up as reverse alphabetical order.

I misread this issue, sorry! What is fixed is changing the sort order explicitly via the TV app (i.e. the selector at the top of "All Movies"). I'll look into the server-side sort order of collections tomorrow and hopefully have a fix then.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, it is not just Collections, it is everything.For instance, if you select to view more under Recently Updated Shows, it will show up alphabetical instead of in order of most recent update.

This fixed the sort issues on Android TV. Thank you!

1 Like