Lifetime subscription option?

Paying through a Google subscription would be cool (not related to this).

Or Apples subscription...seems that is quite the popular thing in the Apple Ecosystem. lolz

Offering a lifetime plan is not a sound financial decision. Costs and expenses rise. Why doesn't Netflix, HBO, Spectrum, etc offer lifetime subscriptions? In fact they raise prices all the time because costs go up. $80 a year is so reasonable this shouldn't be an argument. You get free guide data, free updates, new features, and free apps!!!!!! What more can you ask for! If you use this great product, just enjoy it and pay the great developers for their awesome software and be happy!!!!

2 Likes

I am very happy with paying annual fee but don't compare Netflix, HBO or other providers they have the cost of paying for the content they provide it's a different business model.

1 Like

I understand it's a different business model. However either way a company has to be able to stay in business. For all the work the developers do for the Channels App it's amazing. Guide data alone is expensive and we get that as part of our subscription. Schedules Direct is a company that strictly sells annual subscriptions for guide data and they charge $25 a year JUST FOR GUIDE DATA. As of June 2021 they blocked Emby from using their service. So where does that leave the users of Emby TV Live?
We don't know what the developers are paying for us for our guide data but I'm sure it's not free and that's only one small part of their costs.

Like I said I don't mind paying my yearly subscription.

1 Like

they could have a deal with SD themselves, as their guide data is around £25 a year in UK.

They sell the individual products for devices, but you still need to pay for the guide and dvr. they could offer if you have the individual packages and paid for them, you pay half the price it currently is for a yearly subscription to the guide and dvr side

I am in favor of a Lifetime subscription option, even at a high cost. Part of the reason our family watches OTA content is because part of our philosophy is to minimize monthly costs and subscription fees. We prefer an upfront expense rather than a reoccurring.

I suspect many of Channels customers feel the same way and have a similar approach. I am grateful there is a yearly option.

If a lifetime option is not going to happen, I might suggest a couple alternatives:

1. A 2,3,4,5 year option at least
  2. Multiple annual subscription that I could stack up. We would probably buy 5 or 10 if this was available today.

I love the service, the product, the company and the support. There is a conflict between their revenue model and my families expense model though I would like to resolve.

For now, we have allocated 5 years of Channels cost on the books. Let's hope the price doesn't go up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lifetime subscriptions do not bring in much new money ... I do not mind the subscription heck I just cut down on 1 Starbuck coffee... and that pays for it.

The outstanding support itself is worth a yearly Subscription. I already save 9.95 on 2 boxes because of TVE.

3 Likes

Lots of software companies have lifetime subs and have no problem providing updates! SMH

1 Like

12 Likes

My first DVR was a Panasonic Showstopper (lifetime) then ReplayTvs (lifetime) and then TiVo Roamios (lifetime). The Showstoppers and Replays are out of business and TiVo is dying on the vine. This time around I'm hoping the subscription model keeps this great product around for much longer. Also, the amount that I have paid for a dozen + lifetime DVRs over the years far exceeds what Channels charges. So basically Channels is already charging the lifetime rate but letting you pay for it monthly or yearly.

2 Likes

And we know all companies are exactly the same. What works for one will work for another.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Sorry, that’s a really poor excuse, the problem is greed!

OK well I think it’s greedy of you to demand a lifetime subscription.

Use other software if you don’t agree with the terms of this company’s product.

8 Likes

The solution would be a $10,000 lifetime subscription tied to 1 machine and allowed to move twice.

2 Likes

Twice!?!? That's awful generous. :laughing:

1 Like

Lifetime subscription should only be $6,400

If you buy lifetime your locked into todays rate for life. $80/yr x 80yrs (average lifespan) = $6400

I think it should be locked to the machine. Non transferable.

I bet some idiot would click lifetime at checkout by accident.

1 Like

+1 for adding a lifetime option