Lifetime subscription option?

This is a friendly place and I mean no disrespect but let's be real. $80 a year is such a bargain for all the time, money, and effort these great developers put into a product that in my opinion rivals any billion dollar corporation. Channels works flawless and I will happily continue to pay for it annually even if there were a lifetime option. It's not fair. Would you accept getting paid a lump sum at your job and the be expected to work free for the rest of your life? These guys/gals deserve to get paid for their hard work. Don't be cheap or complain about paying for something once a year. My apologies if I've offended anyone.

13 Likes

You summed up my feelings perfectly.

1 Like

I could not have said it better.

2 Likes

I also agree!

Would be nice

I asked a subscription related question a while back. These were the official responses I received.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you! Referring back to where this has been asked and answered in the past is both helpful and constructive.

Finally, a response that isn't deeply condescending or downright arrogant.

Should be considered lifetime subscription would be a big bonus for the community that is so loyal to the developers.My thoughts

I think it'd be really cool if the team considered Lifetime subscriptions -- perhaps like Proton does every so often, it could be tied to donations to a not-for-profit like EFF or the St. Jude's fundraiser Relay is doing right now. You've got a strong community, so it'd be cool to use us to do more than help make DVR awesome.

I’d like to see a lifetime subscription, but charge $1/mo for the app on each device or something so you guys are still making money on a monthly basis in a way that’s fair.

2 Likes

Come to think about it, Channels Plus is literally the only recurring subscription fee in my life that I am actually HAPPY about, and excited to pay.

9 Likes

I’m with you. It’s absolutely worth the money. I pay the annual rate.

2 Likes

For me too, this is money well spent. I want the developers to get every dollar they can get from me. This is why I'm purposely paying monthly so that in one year they get $96 from me instead of just $80.
The software is so good that I'm happy to pay for it. By the way, I'm a software engineer so I know how hard it can be and I do enjoy getting compensated for my efforts. :smiley:

Don't tell anybody but, if they started charging more for it, I would not even blink and I would keep throwing my money at them. :grin:

5 Likes

Agreed with i think software is worth more then $8mo.

They keep releasing updates, features etc at breakneck speeds. I have accepted the occasional bug. Because they are stupid fast to resolve. Definitely worth $15/mo. Id be glad to pay it

My proposition for lifetime update to shut people up.

1. Lifetime plan for $1,000. Thats many years prepaid. If they did this at $1000 there's still a 50% chance id pay.

2. Go signup for something like privacy.com or buy a green dot. Load $$$ on it and forget.

The app developers want a paycheck every week. Not just 1 time. So stop rehashing this.

3 Likes

What ever you command your majesty.

2 Likes

Sorry @Bob6 some folks are so infatuated with ChannelsDVR there's hysterical attempts to mute perfectly reasonable conversation.

There are many folks who would prefer a lifetime subscription, but the developers have made it pretty clear in the past that's not something they're planning on considering. Nobody I'm aware of thinks this isn't a reasonable decision - their product, their rules!

Check out post #26 for the latest on this, and it's unlikely to change in the future.

Things change, perhaps someday the devs will recognize that their customers would prefer a lifetime sub option. Would be a good way to bring in a lot of cash at once without investors.

2 Likes

Lifetime passes do not work in the long run. You think Netflix Prime Hulu etc... are going to give a lifetime pass. Eventually cash flow slows and so will development.

1 Like

It’s a poor business model for software and the developers realize this. Many of us are happy that they do, as it helps ensure the continued viability of the product. I have no problem with people asking for it over and over, but answering the question over and over can get old for those of us that frequent the forums. Maybe we need a sticky. :grinning:

3 Likes