Live OTA freezes

Already have a channel master LTE filter inline. No preamp and not near the towers. Signal levels float around 87% on most channels.

I'd say enable diagnostics on your HDHR and contact [email protected] with a timestamp of when it happens next so they can check the logs on their side.

I have done that in the past for another issue, they never respond. Very bad customer support there. I will tweak the antenna aim and double check all the coax connections. Going to watch the ATSC 3.0 signal for a few days and see if that gets it. That comes from a completely different tower much closer and seems stable under all conditions.

Unless they've changed it, Channels DVR polls the HDHR tuner every 2 seconds, starting 1 second after connecting to the HDHR. Not sure how often the Signal GH app polls it.

You know I thought it was only on OTA but I am seeing the same momentary freezes on TVE too I realized today. Sent log from ATV and also from the DVR.

New diagnostic log submitted under c3e8d3bb-ddbe-4a43-994d-4f809789dd74
New diagnostic log submitted under 3c7d6d06-ace4-4f5b-8bbd-72c7aea0d7e2

From your DVR PC, open a command prompt or powershell and enter:
ping x -l 1400 -n 100
Note that it's lower case -L 1400
Replace the x with the IP of your HD Home run
Also do this for the IP of your router

If there are any dropped packets, you have a network issue

Good luck,

Morris

Ping to DVR Server
22 packets transmitted, 22 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.324/0.921/2.468/0.491 ms

Ping to Router
16 packets transmitted, 16 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.754/1.372/2.335/0.478 ms

Ping to HDHR
15 packets transmitted, 15 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.272/0.894/2.056/0.460 ms

That is good to see. Please add the options -l 1400 -n 100

-l (L in lower case) is for packet length and this longer packet is more likely to show an issue
-n is number of repeats. This will take a couple of minutes

Is your DVR wireless? If you, please try wired.

Those commands are invalid on a Mac.

Everything is on ethernet

Instead of -l try -s, and instead of -n try -c.
ping -c 100 -s 1400 X.X.X.X

(-c is count, -s is size; BSD programs tend to differ from their GNU counterparts.)

I will try this later. Have to go into the office for a bit.

Ping to DVR Server
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet lossround-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.625/1.035/1.254/0.108 ms

Ping to Router
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet lossround-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.045/1.238/1.373/0.061 ms

Ping to HDHR
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet lossround-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.703/1.111/1.503/0.117 ms

I'm having the exact same issues. Have been for the last month or so now. I initially thought it was my Internet provider with dropped connections. Both he and I have ran tests on both our ends and he's even ran a dropout monitor recorder trying to catch it, but no luck.

Thought it was then the network in my house and ran the packet tests multiple times between all the devices and had the same results as you with no lost packets.

I have Channels running on an iMac Retina 5k 27" 2020 with 8Gb memory, OS Monterey 12.1. Using HDHR Quattro for OTA. DVR storage is an external 3Tb drive that's 8% full. Apple 4k TV's. Everything is wired with Cat 6 and running out of a 24 port unmanaged switch plugged directly in to the Internet providers router.

For wireless devices (iPhones, iPads, robot vac only), have a Google Mesh with 3 device points that caused a double NAT. Have tried physically disconnecting and unplugged the Google Mesh and rebooted the network and all devices. Still same issues with Channels freezing randomly.

Similar setup. Server is a MacBook Pro that does nothing else but run Channels DVR. Google Fiber internet. iPerf tests between all gear on my network shows 940mb/s up and down with no packet loss. I never see any stalls/freeze on any other streaming service on my ATV units.

Netflix/Prime/Discovery/A+/HBO all work perfectly. Also I stream Channels from my home to my Mac at my office in another part of town and I never see a freeze that way. So I really think its an issue local to the ATV and the software on it. My guess is that it is some kind of memory/buffer issue in the ATV related to Channels.

Does it happen in the official HDHR app?

Don't know. Never use it much as its video driver looks awful (studder) on an OLED screen. BUT, I have the same freezing issue on TVE sources. Freezes for a second or less, timeline pops up, then it picks up again. While I was in the office today I streamed TV from my home server to my laptop at work for 8 hours and never saw a single freeze. Only happens in the ATV.

Going to watch the Olympics on local NBC affiliate using the HDHR app for awhile and see if it freezes.

In my case, it only does it when watching anything on the Channels app whether it's from the HDHR or the Philo channels feed.

I can stream Netflix, Discovery, and some other apps on the ATV and there are no issues watching any of those.

've cleared the cache on the ATV, tried going to a wireless connection, reset the ATV, re-indexed the hard drive for the DVR, and a couple of other things that I can't remember now. Everything worked perfectly clear up to about a month or so ago, then that's when we started noticing the lost connections.

The only thing that I can remotely coincide with it possibly was an update to Mac OS Monterey 12.1 on the computer that I'm running Channels on. My brother has Channels also and said he had a similar problem. He uninstalled Channels, then reloaded it on to some other standalone pi device.

Well it’s not Monterey. My server is on High Sierra. In fact it’s not the server at all, because I don’t do tuner sharing so my HDHR is direct to the ATV. Of course when I use TVE then it’s going thru the server but I never get freezes watching on an iPad, an iPhone or on a web browser. Only the ATV freezes.