Live streaming issues on WiFi vs LAN

Hello,

I have 2 Apple TVs one on LAN the other via WiFi. I seems to always experience issues on the WiFi Apple TV. Freezing, pixilation, slow performance. Other apps do not have this issue. And I also do not experience these issues on my tablets or phones.

The Apple TV on WiFi is in the bedroom right above where the router is located. Are there any setting on my router that I need to change?

Hdhomerun video data uses 5x more bandwidth than other internet streams. So slow Wi-Fi is a lot more problematic.

You can check the FAQ topic on the forum for instructions on how to run a speedtest.

Are you using Channels on your tablets or phones or other streaming apps? I'd try using Channels on a phone/tablet and see if it experiences similar issues when located near your bedroom TV.

If Channels works well on your phone/tablet in the bedroom, then I'd make sure your Apple TV is set up for WiFi the same way as your known-good phone/tablet is. For example, if your phone/tablet is on a "-5" or "-5G"-suffixed WiFi network name, then make sure that's the one your Apple TV is on.

1 Like

I do not experience the same issue with Channels app on my phone or tablet. I will try restarting the router. We have had a few power outages and may have messed things up a bit. If that doesn’t solve it, I might erase and set up the Apple TV as new.