Live Video Stutter

I’m getting increasingly frustrated with the amount of stutter I’m seeing on many channels. At first I thought it was content related(judder) but that is not the case. If I see some stutter, I pause, rewind, play and the stutter is gone for that segment. Continue watching, see more stutter, pause, rewind, play and stutter is gone and so on. I’m trying to understand what has changed in my environment and the only thing I can come up with is the latest TVOS update and a number of ATV Channels app updates. This happens on both the released Channels App and beta Channels App so I’m thinking it has nothing to do with my DVR setup (Ubuntu). I have 2 ATV and experience this problem on both devices . (one wired and one wifi connected)

Any ideas or any troubleshooting actions I should take?

BTW - Here is an example of typical channel quality form my Homerun Prime

Modulation Lock qam256
PCR Lock locked
Signal Strength 100% (1.6 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (38.6 dB)
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 12.286 Mbps
Resource Lock 192.168.1.214

How often is it happening?

Maybe try streaming to a computer, or another app on the ATV like InstaTV Pro or VLC and see if it shows the same issue?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Stutter during recording playback

Happening intermittently…could be every few sec to over a minute or two… Seems to be happening more on the native 1080i channels.??

Downloaded VLC and InstaTV Pro and see the same thing

If it’s happening in other apps, then its either the source, the HDHR or the ATV.

Try streaming to a computer or other device using the HDHR VIEW app to see if it happens there. That will narrow it down further.

Seeing the issue and even worse using the HD Homerun app on my Mac. Definitely seeing more issues with 1080i content vs 720P channels with virtualy the same signal quality/strength. Ugh

Okay then it’s either the source signal or the HDHR/cablecard.

Check your cable path… where does it come into the house, how does it get to your HDHR. If there are splitters along the path, try removing them, or moving the HDHR closer to the source.

Also if some of the cables are thin/flimsy looking then they might be making the signal worse too.

If you still have a cable company box, you could try that to compare and see if the video issue is on the cable company side.

Also probably doesn’t hurt to power off the PRIME, pull the cable card out, make sure there’s no dust and re-seat the card.

Ok.thanks. I’ll give those suggestions a try. I do have the main cable from the street going into an amplifier and then split a few times.

Also forgot to mention, there can be quite a difference between low quality and high quality splitters.