Local Content video metadata

Hi, there! I'm a little confused on how to setup metadata for Local Content (mkv). These are files I've created via ffmpeg using the -metadata flags, e.g.

• -metadata title=
  • -metadata grouping=
  • -metadata year=
  • -metadata description=

But none of this seems to come through in Channels, even though Infuse (on Apple TV) seems to pick it up just fine (selecting "local metadata"). Specifically, I'm pulling this local content into a Virtual Channel and it would be slick to have it show up there.

Any tips?

Metadata is not read from the file itself. For imported movies, the content is first searched for in TMDB, and then Gracenote; TV shows' metadata only comes from Gracenote.

After import, you can manually edit metadata.

Are you not seeing any metadata matches for your files at all? If not, it could be the way your media is organized or named.

Please give us some examples so we can help more.

These are custom videos - they aren't videos from movies or TV shows or anything like that - they're recording of sports events, technically, but not anything that's aired anywhere.

I'm not sure what examples you're looking for beyond what I've already provided for the ffmpeg command I'm using? The 'videos' listing for the local content just has the file names listed, basically ...

Embedded meats data is not currently supported but is planned.

For now you would need to use the Edit Metadata option on the web UI

It would be helpful to make a list of what metadata properties are supported by ffmpeg/mkv and how those would/should map to the fields on the manual editor.

1 Like

Hmm, ok. That's unfortunate. Is there any way to generate a metadata file or anything similar that Channels would recognize? These files are generated by a script I wrote, so I can make it do whatever I want ...

1 Like

https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php/FFmpeg_Metadata

1 Like

Best bet would be to script against the API then. You can use the browser web inspector to see the request made when you edit metadata.

We've talked about adding .nfo support as well, but I think importing from the video file would be easier and be implemented first.

1 Like

OK, thx!

From what I'm seeing, this is the PUT /dvr/files/<ID>, right?

Ya sounds right

See also Use original YouTube thumbnails on your YouTube video imports

Cool, thx - was wondering how I would get all the other data that's in that payload :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.