Local TVE multiple markets

Can you have locals via TVE in more than one market?

No. The networks geolocate based upon your IP, and they determine which local feed you will receive.

Racameron is correct, though there are some exceptions. As an example, both my house here outside of Harrisburg, PA and our families cabin down in Western NC pick-up both the local and the adjacent ABC networks via TVE. It plugs them in as 5985 I believe. I don't use them as I have no need for a second ABC station, but they are there. However my mom's house down in Gainesville Florida doesn't have the adjacent ABC channel. I'm assuming if you live in a fringe area, maybe the ABC TVE stream allows for a margin of geo "error" and provides both?

There are other ways (non-TVE) to integrate "other" locals into your server if you have access to an antenna in another market with a local Channels DVR in that market as an example, but that requires a non-plug and play approach (lots of configuration involving Tailscale VPN).

I have a similar situation with ABC, getting both NYC and Hartford.

Hartford locks me out of some broadcasts, so I just hide that station.

I smack in the middle of two markets. DISH gives ya one market, Direct the other, Spectrum gives us a mix. But on my OTA antenna, I can only pick up one market directly, and in HD. The other market is on repeater towers and gets converted to analog and back to low power digital on the repeater tower. My 2ᴺᴰ ABC is on 5985. 3 channels I can only get OTA. Salisbury MD WBOC, WRDE, and "Fox21" no call letters as its a sub of WBOC. But I think I'm one of those very rare cases. It would be awesome if I could get the closer WBOC streaming via TVE because late evenings the signal gets too low and starts cutting out but the only CBS I get via TVE (and HD) is the further WTKR in Norfolk which I can only get from the repeater tower so the quality is no good locally. The two markets almost never play the same football games either so it is nice to have that option sometimes, just would be nice if there were just one where I could get all the networks in HD via TVE. I’ve got both a YouTubeTV account and Spectrum account added as sources as well. I just hope I'm being shown all the channels I'm able to get and Channels isn't hiding any because it thinkgs some are the same.

1 Like

Channels isn't hiding anything. The networks control which feeds you get via their TVE streams. For the most part, only ABC offers neighboring market streams in the bordering areas. The rest of the networks limit you to the DMA that either your IP address or your browser's location services say you are in.

1 Like