Locast now in Tampa Bay, can Channels be updated

Locast began service in Tampa Bay yesterday. When trying to set up the beta in Channels, it says that Locast is not available. I was hoping it could be added to the list of updates in the near future so I can try it out. No rush, I just wanted to let someone know that it changed.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Funny - I just signed up for Locast a week or 2 ago, not realizing they were not in Tampa yet. Happy to hear they are here now!

1 Like

That would be awesome! I just received an email this morning that it's now available in Tampa.

Do I need the tuner box with Locast? Does it work similar to the TVE feed? It would be cool if I can just get rid of my boxes altogether!

I would also like this to be added, I am in Tampa and my HDHR antenna doesnt pick up all channels available.

It works the same way as TVE. You must be a donating user for Locast support, but that's it.

Just beware that the quality of Locast is less than broadcast. Video quality is suitable, but audio is only the first/primary audio stream, and it's stereo only.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I am going to at least give them a try and see what I think.

Added to next build. Pre-release now available

1 Like

Thanks for the info, @racameron. I was about to post exactly those questions. I was thinking of using Locast to supplement my existing antenna tuners. But not if it costs a monthly fee, and especially not if it is subpar quality.

1 Like

Awesome and thank you very much @tmm1!!!!

1 Like

The quality is actually quite acceptable. Just realize that the way Locast works is by reencoding broadcast streams from MPEG-2 (H.262) to H.264, and only the primary audio stream is sent. (Also, the audio is re-encoded from AC-3/Dolby Digital to AAC, and downmixed from 5.1 to stereo.)

The minimum "donation" that Locast asks for is $5/mo, which is to basically cover their costs. Remember, Locast is a non-profit organization whose primary purpose is to rebroadcast OTA streams over the internet to users that otherwise cannot receive their local broadcasts for myriad reasons.

2 Likes

Thanks @tmm1 - Once again, you guys look out for your users!

1 Like