Locast Suspends Service/Need Help with Home RUn

I already own a Recast, which I purchased before Locast was available. It doesn’t work with channels while the Homerun does. I suppose I could sell my Recast but that’s not the solution I was hoping for.

I have one of those somewhere in a box at the bottom of my closet ... might have to dig it out.

When ATSC3 finally comes, I will consider upgrading my tuner. At the rate things are going there won’t be anything to watch OTA anyway, so it might not matter.

1 Like

I really miss Locast.

I really need some help.

So, since I use to record all Prime Time Shows (like DishTV), I bought 2 [HDHomeRun FLEX 4K to be able to either watch or record up to 8 shows at one time. In my case I wanted to record CBS. NBC, ABC, CW, and PBS.

I did all the HDHomerun steps. In my area I was able to scan in 162 channels (Los Angeles) on both Flex units.

I went to ChannelsDVR and both Flex units were found, Both units showed 162 channels.

Updated guide.

Problem I am having is that I can still only record 4 shows at a time. Since there are 8 tuners, I should be able to record 8, right? The Channels Guide on the web app and the FireStick allow my choice of 8, but only 4 seem to allow me to view, and only 4 seem to show up in the channels activity area.

Questions:
Do I need to check the little heart symbol next to the channel when scanning from My.HDHomerun.com on the Flex?

Do I do anything to the manage line up on both Flex device in ChannelsDVR. Like, not allow duplicate channels on each device?

My Channels version is

When I had Locast, I was able to create Passes that could record 8 channels, from 8pm to 11pm seven days a week with 3 minutes after padding. Any idea if that is possible with the 2 Flex, or do I have to turn off the padding?

Sorry for being so long. Any help would be appreciated.

And, yes, I did check to make sure that the tuners were not being used by other devices, and reboot the computer to be on the safe side.

First question would be, are you in an area that is broadcasting ATSC 3.0?
I f you are, you need to be aware that only the first two tuners on each device can receive an ATSC 3.0 signal.
These would be identified in your guide with channel #'s in the 100's. i.e. 104.1
So for example your local Fox is 4.1 on ATSC 1.0 and the ATSC 3.0 version is 104.1

Second thing to consider is if both HDHR devices see the same channels you have to figure out how to prioritize the tuners and channels to get what you want by using Tuner priority and favorite channels in the DVR web UI settings.

What happens if you pick 8 shows from the guide all on different channels to start recording at the same time?

Thanks for the reply.

There is no ATSC 3.0 in my area yet so that is not a problem. I will check on DVR web UI settings and the favorite channels.

Thanks

Also try this and let us know what happens.

Does it work? (it should)
Any errors in the Channels DVR log?

Something else I'm not sure you're aware of, on a Channels Client device (Fire stick?) you can enable tuner sharing so when the client device (Fire stick?) is watching Live TV it will share the tuner channel so other clients (If you have them) watching the same channel or a recording taking place on the DVR will only use one tuner for that channel.

Hello! @bgreenberg

If you have a tve provider, you could also try enabling the "locals over tve" option in the dvr ui and if any (usually nbc, abc, pbs) show up you'll have those available to record from as well.

Did you pick a guide provider for both HDHR Flex 4k devices in the Channels DVR web UI?
Where you enter your zipcode and choose 'Local Over the Air Broadcast`

Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions.

The problem I was having appeared to be unrelated to adding the 2 new HDHR Flex 4K.

Going over my 5TB hard drive, I noticed that I only had 35 gigabytes left. Computer processing was really slow on ChannelsDVR. Figured I needed to trash old shows.

Not sure why, but when I trashed a large number of shows, in the morning, they all came back later in the day. So it went from 4.65 TB used to 218 GB available. Yet in the evening all the trashed show came back to the drive and went back up to 4.70 TB used.

Bottom line, I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro, installed ChannelsDVR, and added the 2 new HDHR 4K.

Last night I recorded 6 shows at the same time. Actually I created 6 "Prime Time" Pass that records all shows 8PM, 9pm and 10pm from each local network channel daily.

Worked perfectly.

Oh, by the way, I have Spectrum TV Essentials mostly because my wife wants to record Hallmark. It says it gives 60 channels, but ChannelsDVR shows 88. For the 19.99 a month, it makes for a happy wife.

I have a bunch of other questions, but will save that for another post.

Not sure if you're familiar with Channels "Trash".
When you Trash something, all it does is mark it to be deleted from your hard drive later.
The recording will stay on your hard drive taking up space until the selectable retention time has passed, or you go to the Trash and empty it.

There are a number of free Channels that channels includes with any TVE source. That explains the higher channel number.

I did click Trash for the TV series. Then I went into the Trash on the Admin page, saw the shows that were Trashed, and clicked empty trash. Either way, I think it has something to do with the data drive being too full, or I was impatient waiting for all the files to be removed. Even when I went into File Explorer to try to manually delete other files not in ChannelsDVR it was taking a long time.

Reinstalling Windows solved my problems.

1 Like

Your are correct.

I did notice that the Spectrum TV Essential "extra channels were news channels from all around the country. They were not on the list of channels that I signed up for. Nice to have though.

Thanks.

Follow up. While I really liked Channels, the loss of Locast led to my trying about 20 locations for an antenna and finally finding one that works with my Fire Recast. And so it’s a reluctant goodbye to Channels. I canceled today but they apparently will not prorate a refund as they should. Warning to others - don’t get a yearly subscription.

Email support and they can help with billing issues.

You paid for a year up front for the reduced price. Why would you expect a prorated return? That's the point of the discount. You gamble if you will use it for the whole year or not.

1 Like

It’s not supposed to be a gamble. I would expect to be charged the regular monthly rate up to the end of the month I canceled. But, go ahead and be even more unpleasant if that makes you happy.

Sorry I do not agree with you ... If you or I sign up for a year to get the cheaper rate ... if you or I cancel I do not expect you or myself to get any money back ... your subscription will continue whether you come back or not until it ends.

1 Like

I know what their policy is and was just warning others of their inflexibility. I really don’t care if you disagree but I have the right to express my opinion as do you.