Locast vs Antenna

Hey all, I know this question was asked a year ago by someone else. But, I wanted to get some updated perspectives. I currently use Locast for my local channels. However, I've been mauling over the idea of switching to an antenna. What's held me back to this point is the upfront cost of getting an HDHR and the antenna. I looked up my area and it says that an indoor antenna will give me tons of channels due to my distance from the towers. But, the HDHR seems limited and expensive ($200 for 4 tuners) versus what I have now. But, with the uncertainty of Locasts future, I'm not sure if I should put down the $60 annual cost for it right now or invest towards an antenna and HDHR. Any thoughts, help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A few advantages to an antenna:

• Works when there is no internet
  • Superior video and audio quality (higher video bitrates, and 5.1 Dolby Digital audio)
1 Like

I agree with racameron. I have a 4-tuner and 2-tuner setup and just use cable for the other channels (easing my wife into cutting the cord).

I'd first say if you can get your hands on a 2 tuner model just to check that all the wiring needs you will have can be met (where the antenna is vs. where the computer is running the DVR), might not be a bad idea.

There is a lot of nuance that will help in your decision and any potential discussion:

Before any of this I will say that indoor antennas are not a great option, especially if they are the flat ones with skinny attached coax. Depending upon some of these answers it may be tolerable, but trying to save money on the antenna side is where you will probably get more frustration than results. I speak from many, many tested experiences.

1 Like

First get the Antenna and see if it works before you get the HDHR

Locast is better than nothing ... if you cannot get good reception ... I am lucky to be in a great area where even a paperclip gives me good reception... I use an HD Frequency Cable Cutter antenna indoors from silicondust.

Great timing on this thread, I was contemplating the same upgrade. Been using Locast for awhile now, and really appreciate it but but came to realize, the advantages of an antenna that @racameron mentioned above, about it working even when the internet is down, as well as it delivering better PQ and audio) are too compelling to ignore.

This is good info, thanks!

those look good too, I'm considering the options available here, maybe the Mini: https://www.hdfrequency.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=63
(Reception is excellent in my area too, last I checked.)

We don't have ATSC 3.0 channels yet but they'll be here eventually, and I'd like whatever gear I buy today to be prepared for them.

Sorry for the newbie question, but If I install the HDHomeRun FLEX 4K, would either of these antenna options work with it for the future ATSC 3.0 signal? Or would I need a special ATSC 3.0 antenna?

Any Antenna can do ATSC 3.0 no special one needed.... including a clothes hanger. :grinning:

1 Like

Anyone considering an antenna should check out Antenna Man on YouTube.

[spoiler]He's in favor of them.[/spoiler]

2 Likes

Yep, basically all of my questions were things I learned from Tyler the Antenna Man!

1 Like

I have had a huge 90+ mile antenna in my attic for 29 years. Because of my location I have to amplify it. I still pay for locate as a backup because there are times the local stations lower their power and I lose them for whatever reason. My antenna runs into a 4 tuner HDHR and then I run a VM for Channels that has a 2TB drive attached to it dedicated as DVR. Locast at times has audio sync issues and just like Dish ormDire TCS is rather obvious down-Rez. One thing that is cool about OTA is all the sub-channels available. Also I have been paying for locast and Channels since February 2020.

And the rate times Internet is down you can still watch TV and things you have DVRed

After reading all the comments I am interested in trying OTA. I checked AntennaWeb, ChannelMaster, and the FCC website. They all say that my area has excellent reception and that an indoor antenna would be more than enough (My city also offers NextGen TV). Of course, I'd want to test this to make sure.
But, my only concern after reading all the responses to my post is the cost. It seems some of the folks on here are spending a lot of money just on equipment. I thought the objective for cord-cutting was to save money? Locast for 2 years is $121 versus for me to get an antenna and a 4 tuner HDHR it's about $250 after taxes. And, that's provided I only need an indoor antenna. So that's the equivalent of 3 years of Locast.

Compare it to a DVR and cable subscription at ~$100/mo (which is close to the average), and you're looking at $4800 over 2 years. $250 for equipment you own versus $4800 for equipment you rent ...

Not sure why you have to spend $250 plus. If you have good reception you can get a flat Antenna for around $30 and an HDHOMERUN off eBay like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/274871274048?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

I get what you're saying. However, you're comparing OTA to cable. That isn't what I'm comparing here at all. I'm comparing the price between an antenna/HDHR vs Locast. I completely get why someone wouldn't want a cable subscription.

That's still not a fair comparison, as the quality of Locast is far inferior to OTA. It's a bit like comparing a Toyota Camry to a BMW 5 Series.

@Richard_smith I suppose I don't need to get one off Amazon or from Silicon Dust directly. But, in my experience getting used stuff that works as it should can be hit or miss.

HDHomeRun tuners are pretty resilient. The most common part that fails is the power supply, and that is easily replaced.

Also, you can often find refurbished units for less than new, too.

I think I'll pick up an antenna and see what channels I do get before I buy the HDHR. I'm hoping I wouldn't have to do what a previous poster said about getting things professionally installed.

Indeed, in addition to the PQ difference and the availability of 5.1 audio, OTA also provides access to local channels even if/when the internet is down, whereas Locast does not. Those advantages are worth factoring in when comparing overall cost/value.