Lon.TV on YouTube: "ATSC 3.0 DRM Workaround with the Channels App!"

Channels is getting more exposure on YouTube thanks to Lon.TV:

5 Likes

Reminds me of ADB Tuner.
I think there is a box that does allow you to tune from channel to channel but I don't remember what Android TV tuner it uses.

2 Likes

No way would I invest anymore on devices to record ATSC 3.0 DRM .. I will wait till if and when the HDHR units can play DRM using ADBTUNER.

2 Likes

It's not worth investing in this as I can already get the ATSC 1 channels in the clear so there's no need to get the ATSC 3 version of them

Hopefully, DRM will go away from ATSC 3 which will make it even more enticing to get the Flex 4K

Just saw this article. There might be hope...

3 Likes

The new A3SA DVR specification supports in-home streaming to applications hosted on common media consumption platforms such as Android, Fire, Roku, WebOS, and Tizen, with iOS support in process.

So this new DVR specification likely means it needs to run on a platform that supports proprietary Google Widevine. I am a place shifter, not a time shifter. So a DVR is not useful to me.

You are specifically the target of the draconian rules. The latency and TTL gates are made to assure that you can not view anything outside of the exact location you recorded it. It's an insane overreaction to locast and anyone that set up an antenna to view remote programming. Can't do that because then advertisers won't pay as much since their ads won't be targeted.

Other than live sports and local news, it’s all [redacted] anyway. 4K HDR doesn’t make [redacted] any better.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Same BS. Nothing too new there.

If Channels can afford/accept the cost and liability to apply for and carry the needed certification/ license whatever they call it, to be able to play, record etc ATSC 3.0 DRM station, cool.

Do not see that happening, especially since Channels main and first development platform is Apple, and support for that is, "in progress" on the A3SA side. Don't hold your breath.

2 Likes