Long delay tuning ATSC3 channels after HDHomeRun firmware update

Email sent

Mine is faster than it's ever been. 3 seconds or so. Great job @tmm1

1 Like

New HDHR firmware released today 2023March23. See if it helps!

I might update it tomorrow. If you update to it please post back if it breaks anything.

I also am very curious how well this new 20230323 release firmware works - my Flex 4k is currently on 20230316beta1 and I’m afraid to update it to anything newer, since everything is now working fine (with the latest Channels TestFlight build). The ATSC3 tuning delay issue started when I updated the Flex 4k firmware from the 20221205 release version to the 20230303 release version, and I learned the hard way that it’s not possible to roll back to earlier firmware.

1 Like

Ok I decided to roll the dice on this latest 23 firmware since I was still having issues with one on my stations. There is good, bad and weird.

The bad, it doesn’t fix my 20sec to tune on lan cbs channel on my iOS beta app.

The good is that it significantly speed up time to tune on my android shield tv on lan including my problem cbs station. These went from about 10sec in channels to 4-7sec in channels on my shield. These tunes are still slower than most iOS tunes of 3-5sec since the TestFlight beta upgrade.

The weird, it sometimes seems when I tune to the same channel on my iOS that my shield is currently playing it will revert to long 20sec tunes on channels that were fixed by the TestFlight beta. This is random and I haven’t figured out how to reproduce consistently. I don’t use tuner sharing.

The bottom line is if you are running a shield tv or possibly android in general, this latest hdhr firmware definitely worth it. It also doesn’t fix long tune times while remote on either stable or beta iOS app. I don’t have android remote to test but it could possibly help tune times.
@tmm1

In my testing in the last 20 hours, the latest firmware seems to be working as good or better than any previous firms. My devices are all Android and ATV.

The Fox ATSC3 (142.1 Omaha) still is and always was problematic. Lots of dropped frames, stuttering at times on some devices, random very long tuning times, "no video data" errors reported in the HDHR logs.

I bit the bullet and installed the 20230323 release firmware on my Flex 4k, and there is no change on Apple TV and iOS, 3.22.2247 TestFlight build – on all ASTC3 channels, tunning still takes 2 seconds or less for video to appear with audio starting ~2 seconds after video.

2 Likes

After installing tvOS 16.4 yesterday, I installed the latest firmware update on HDHomeRun Flex 4K today. The ATSC 3.0 stations I get now tune in much quicker, in about 2-3 seconds, where before it was taking a lot longer (30+ seconds). Thanks for all who have helped with feedback and comments to SiliconDust and Channels support!

1 Like

It seems improved for me too.

I have been on the latest release firmware (20230323) and latest TestFlight build of Channels ATV Beta (3.22.2427) for 6 days and have not had any issues at all, and the ATSC3 tuning delay has not returned for any stations.

Interesting story:
Soon after I updated to the latest release firmware, one of the 5 stations on the WHUT lighthouse transmitter (WRC NBC4 104.1) became very intermittent, then the signal cut out altogether. Despite the timing I doubted it was related to the firmware update or a reception issue (all the other ATSC3 lighthouse stations were working fine) and I eventually contacted WRC using their feedback form, not expecting to hear back. But their news director replied right away, and next morning I got a reply from their engineering director - “the company that handles getting our signal to the WHUT transmitter site was having issues with the HD transport equipment. The equipment having issues was replaced today.” I replied that I was still not getting any video/audio, and at 6 pm that same day he replied that the vendor “found another device in their system somewhere in their chain that was also having issues. When we reported you were still seeing problems, they looked into it further and replaced that device.” And sure enough the signal was back and has been OK since.

Meanwhile, another station on that WHUT lighthouse (WTTG FOX5 105.5) has developed a strange (variable?) delay between the audio and video (but their regular 5.1 broadcast is fine of course).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.