Looking to Purchase QNAP or Synology NAS for Channels DVR

What is recommended for a good QNAP or Synology NAS to purchase for Channels DVR. I am looking to put in a 3.5 Size SATA Drive for storage. I want something good to be able to use for other things as well. RIght now it will just be for Channels DVR and maybe a backup system to backup computer files to. What is best recommended.

I purchased the Synology DS720+ and I very happy plenty of power but you also have the DS220+ for a little less. Also got two Seagate IronWolf 4T drives and a memory upgrade. I run backups at night during the day Channels (4 TV's plus recordings), Emby and some Docker containers. No issues at all always on unattended.

I recently upgraded to the DS220+ with 4gb of extra ram. Am running Channels with Pluto Docker container. Also running Plex. 3 Apple TV4K’s streaming consecutively with no issues. Can also play 4K content without issue. Have checked plex from a remote location (HD not 4K) and streams quickly and easily with no buffer at all.

1 Like

If you go the NAS route, just be aware that the inexpensive NAS boxes have crappy CPUs because you don't need much for file serving. Channels DVR uses CPU power for commercial skip processing and transcoding. You should try to find a NAS that has a better/faster Intel processor.

Also, be aware that NAS boxes have become targets for malware and such because people often open them to the internet and their makers don't have the ammunition of Microsoft, Apple, etc. to combat it as well. Both QNAP and Synology have had some pretty nasty malware attacks. Just be very careful if you open things up for outside access (or even if you don't... mine were attacked and weren't opened up).

FYI, I have two QNAP NAS boxes. I chose to instead run Channels DVR on an old Mac Mini that I run "headless" with some external USB3 drives.

Most NAS's are now capable of hardware transcoding and Commercial Skipping is not really a problem as ChannelsDVR only runs 1 at a time. I have had NAsSs for years and not once have I been hacked.

ON my Synology NAS I have run 4 remote connections with transcoding and comskip and have no problem at all.

2 Likes

That's awesome. Just passing along my experience. Not once was I hacked either... until I was.

2 Likes