Looks like both Fox and CBS will be expanding games with HDR this season

After checking the Fox Sports app, I'm not entirely sure what the articles are reporting as I don't see any games tag with HDR so far.

Are you positing that networks will broadcast HDR OTA?

(My personal read on this is that they may offer HDR on the streams from their own proprietary apps, but nothing Channels can successfully ingest will have HDR encoding.)

By proprietary apps do you mean apps like Fox Sports? If so, Channels is already able to do it.

No, not really. Channels can give the streams direct from your antenna or cable, but streaming is entirely different. Your TV Everywhere streams come from the networks' websites. Those streams are usually completely different than what the networks serve through their first-party apps.

He may have meant this

And as mentioned in the thread, there's a schedule available

Channels has been able to stream HDR content from Fox Sports using the Channels TV Everywhere configuration for quite some time.

1 Like

Thats what I don't understand about those two articles. The 4K/HDR event list doesn't show any NFL games in HDR yet the articles say otherwise.

Does the article say which games and which dates?

For Fox it says: "It’s a new season for Fox Sports NFL coverage, and with each new season come new enhancements. Topping the list this year? All A and B games will be 1080p HDR while the remainder of the slate, for the first time ever, will be 1080p SDR."

For CBS it says: " One of the more notable changes this season is on the operations front. Led by EVP, Operations and Engineering, Patty Power , the crew is boosting the live capture of games to 1080p HDR. Used exclusively for each week’s lead game — in Week 1, the Philadelphia Eagles vs. New England Patriots — 1080p HDR"

I guess someone will find if Fox streams the games in HDR on a Fox Local or FS1. As far as I know, we don't get any CBS TVE channels in 4k/HDR.

I guess. Personally, I have my doubts about those articles. I would think there would be more mention of this rather than in these two obscure press releases on a Friday before the game. There is one for NBC too. It mentions equipment being upgraded to HDR for SNF this season even though no broadcast will be in HDR. All three articles came out today.