Fox @ 4k HDR

Can you expand on this? What source can,will, or does 4k? Is this TVE FS1, FS2, ect or experimental local fox? The update came out of the blue with no real supporting thread.

4 Likes

This is regarding this project that allows you to add channels via Custom Channels:

2 Likes

wait, what? the docker already worked with fox 4k before this server update. whats the purpose of this update with this container? doesnt make sense.

so you're saying that with out that container, your 4k update doesnt work?

thanks

1 Like

Sorry @maddox is mistaken.

Basically @m0ngr31 helped me implement the same thing he does in his docker into our TVE integration. So any foxsports.com channels tuned via TVE, we will now request that the fox website send us 4K feeds if they're available. My understanding is that they're usually not available except for certain events like the World Cup.

This should kick in on FS1, FS2, BTN, DEPORTES. Has not really been tested since there's no 4K content on right now.

5 Likes

This is huge and should not have been swept under the rug. You should announce awesomeness like this in a thread. The battle bot is kinda vague. Excellent work!!

5 Likes

Well its completely untested so who knows if it even works right now.

5 Likes

oh snap :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Well, the next opportunity to test is tomorrow night at 6:30PM EST as FS1 airs Minnesota at Ohio State. This game is in HDR as well. Fox claims these have 5.1 audio. I have yet to see any 5.1 audio.

4 Likes

Good to know thanks. We can try it then and report results here. I will also investigate at that time to see what's going on with the audio.

2 Likes

How can you tell when they will show 4K events? I've been wanting to figure out the 5.1 audio stuff

1 Like

Curious if gracenote has the 4K tag to be displayed?

1 Like

From my On Later which has the 4K channel in its FIOS lineup:

4 Likes

The Fox Sports app has a list of upcoming events. For UHD/HDR content there is a tag. Unfortunately, the Apple TV only gets UHD because Fox Sports still doesn't send HDR to Apple TV. I guess if this works with Channels, Channels has been able to dow what Fox hasn't been able to do for 4 or five years.

And this is just in time for the Super Bowl.

2 Likes

Entire nfl playoffs will be in 4K

1 Like

From the link:

FOX NFL Playoff games and the Super Bowl will be available in 4K through several FOX Sports distributors, including Altice Optimum, Comcast Xfinity, Cox Contour TV, DIRECTV, DISH Network, FuboTV, Verizon FIOS and YouTube TV.

So I'm super confused. My FOX OTA station will not be 4K, but the same station on Cable would be, but the same station on TVE would not be (or would it?), but the same station on EPLUS Docker could be?

So, they Produce in 1080P and Broadcast in 4K isn't that sort of cheating?

1 Like

And HDR

1 Like

OTA won’t be, fox tve should be if @tmm1 replicated what @m0ngr31 is doing with FOX in his container since 4K works on my local Fox station in his container.

2 Likes

EPlus docker provides local FOX stations?

I have not wired it up to locals. Will have to see how that works.