Lost a lot of YTTV Channels due to CAPTCHA after installing latest beta

It's in the title - after updating to the 01/13 software, I lost access to FS1, FS2 due to CAPTCHA, then I tried uninstalling YTTV as a source, then re-installing after logging into NBC - now I have lost about 1/2 of the channels that I used to have - how do I get those back? Is this a problem because of the new software?

1 Like

It's not related to the software. If YTTV is throwing a captcha then the DVR cannot login. You need to convince the google account AI that your account is safe and doesn't require captchas. Usually this happens automatically after some time.

You could try opening chrome incognito to nbc.com/live and select YTTV to see if it shows you a captcha there as well. You would need to do this from the same computer where your DVR is running.

I just did this and it didn't show me a captcha - so I see under re-scan that FS1, Discovery and a lot of other channels aren't authenticating - so I just wait and maybe they will come back? Or do I have to manually go to re-scan and try once in a while?

This

My YTTV subscription is coming up on renewal - are there any of the other major live-tv streaming services that don't have this CAPTCHA issue with authenticating TVE?

Well I tried making another gmail account to try and now I can't add yttv back in to Channels with either account - also tried a new release that just came out...

Starting to miss my cablecard/SageTV setup...

Did you login to nbc live with the new credentials before adding the source back?

I hate to suggest it, but if you’re in an area that has Spectrum, it’s not a bad choice if you can get a good deal. They don’t require you to get cable boxes, so you can just use Channels, plus their app for any networks Channels doesn’t support. Just remember that the listed cost doesn’t include the ~$20 local network fee and ~$5 of other fees.

I’ve also heard good things here about Hulu.

Yes I tried that but there's a lot of detail that I am unsure of like- do I just get one shot at that? If I screw up and try the new credentials and get a Captcha, then do I need to create yet another set to retry (and correct any mistakes)?

1 Like

IDK
I have my own issues w/Xfinity and don't use YTTV

I would think if you use the same machine/browser that the DVR is using it wouldn't CAPTCHA you.
Not sure how the internals work.

1 Like

After hours of trying, I simply cannot get YTTV back as a TVE source into Channels - two engineering degrees and 34 years of software/networking experience and I can't get this to work - thanks to everyone for replying - I am seriously considering OTA use only and using the YTTV app for watching everything else - I wish that I had never installed that pre-release software last night because everything worked before then - it was a good 2 years running channels...

1 Like

I sympathize with you.
I had same type of issues with Xfinity TVE and gave up out of frustration. Then a few days to a week later, it just starts working.
Channels DVR TVE is a fickle mistress.

That it is - I worked on this some more, creating two new Google accounts, logging into nbc.com/live first, then trying to add YTTV back as a source - nothing worked - read through these forums - then this morning - tried some more and went back to my original account for TVE/YTTV (no 2FA) and after a couple of tries - I finally got YTTV added back in as a source - not sure why, but it finally worked - still have a few channels not authenticating but for now I'll consider that progress...

From what i have seen over the years since TVE became a feature....is that YTTV is the most temperamental source and most difficult to get working. I was never able to get it to work with Channels. If i recall, i hit a dead end, with Channels telling me to create a Family account, or something, to allow Channles in, but the links on the Google account page to move forward did nothing. Got no help from Google, or Channels (they really couldn't do anything more as the issue was not on thier side of things) So, I gave up and went to Philo. imo, YYTV is way way to expensive, even back when it first came out was on the pricey side. Nearly the cost now of just have cable service.

Hi guys,
Ran into this same issue.
I wound up creating a channels google account and sharing my youtube tv account with channels.
I changed my google account to get a deal that was being offered by Frontier.
I have one account that i use for youtube tv and one for channels to log into youtube tv and i verify log in real quick on my phone as it scans.
I have my personal account that i use just for youtube premium and i use for mail.
got all channels back and channels have their very own email account.

I've tried YTTV, Sling, Philo, Hulu Live TV, and DirecTV Stream.

DirecTV Stream offers the channels I want without any of the login hassles of YTTV. It also offers 3 channels of CSPAN that let me keep an eye on Congress Critters.

I think right now DirecTV Stream is the best option for TVE.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.