Lots of stuttering Live/DVR

I’m getting stuttering in the Web Player, iOS Players and AppleTV

I have:

• HDHomerun CONNECT Quatro
  • Channels running on a dedicated iMac hardwired to the network. The storage is to an external 4TB USB3 drive.

OSApple iMac13,2
Darwin
10.13.6 (kernel: 17.7.0)
CPU
4 cores / Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
load averages: 1.79 1.52 1.45
RAM32.00 GB
87.1% free

If I run the HDHomerun app it’s smooth, as well as is InstaTV on AppleTV.

I feel like I’m doing something wrong.

Do you have “Tuner Sharing” enabled in the app?

Are the HDHR and the iMac connected to the same switch?

They’re not on the same switch (but could be if needed).

Though “Tuner Sharing” wasn’t enabled. I turned it on and it seems to help a lot.

I supposed next step would be getting everything on the same switch?

Yea the less hops the better. It sounds like you’re dropping packets somewhere. Although that wouldn’t explain why InstaTV worked on the same device…

With Tuner Sharing enabled, all the streams go through the DVR so perhaps the link between the DVR<->ATV is better than the link between HDHR<->ATV

Yeah I can’t imagine the link would be better between the ATV and DVR. But I can do better with the network hops.

Apple TVs are wirelessly connected.

Network Setup is:
Router -> Switch -> HDHR
Router -> Switch -> Another Switch -> iMac running DVR

Can’t get the iMac to the first switch but I can run HDHR on the second switch which should be good enough.

Either way Tuner Sharing has made a lot of difference on Apple TVs and now iPad/iPhone also aren’t stuttering though there doesn’t seem to be a similar setting on those devices.

Is it actually ethernet running between the two switches, or some sort of powerline/moca/mesh?

Ethernet cat6. Gigabit.

Arris Modem -> eero -> Airport Extreme (in bridge mode) -> Netgear Gigabit 8port switch

Your WiFi (eero) is connected to the switch (switches?) via the AirPort wireless bridge? And your streaming devices are associated with that eero WiFi device?

@jseymour - no not at all. My eero is connected via ethernet to my modem and outputs to the Airport extreme via eithernet which bridges the connection to the switch via ethernet which connects to the imac

I don’t understand the point in putting the AirPort between the eero and your LAN. Which of the devices is serving as the WiFi access point: The eero or the AP?

ISTM one of those WiFi devices is superfluous–unless they’re widely-separated and for coverage.

The eero only has 2 ethernet ports. When used as a Gateway it only has one ethernet port because the other is used to connect to the modem. I have two devices in the same area that need to be hardwired so the ethernet goes into the Airport and that distributes to the two devices (HDHR and Hue Hub) and runs another ethernet port to a different floor in my house where the switch is.

In terms of the wifi, it’s only coming from the Eero(s). The Airport Extreme is not broadcasting, it’s just acting as a switch.

Got it, now. You’ve referred to the. AP Extreme as a “bridge.” Thus my confusion.

I suspect the APE, but, admittedly, for no particularly good reason. What’s connected to the switch, along with the Mac?