Low volume on surround sound

Volume is low when surround sound is enabled on channels coming through my receiver. When changed to stereo, the volume is equal with other sources. This is on firetv 4k stick.

The surround sound setting uses dolby passthrough, so it's up to your receiver to play it correctly. We don't have any control over the volume or other aspects of the dolby signal.

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I just installed the Channels DVR app on my NVIDIA Shield today while using a HDHomeRun PRIME device and I did notice that the volume level is much lower compared to my other apps. My Shield is connected to an AV Receiver and normally gives me surround sound.

I tried to disable the surround sound setting in the Channels app but it only enabled the front speakers and my subwoofer which isn't what I want, so I reenabled it. It's definitely noticeable when I'm watching sports as I can clearly tell there's a difference in the center speaker, especially, delivering clearer dialog vs. using something like the HDHomeRun app.

Have you tried adjusting the dolby/audio settings on the SHIELD OS?

I'm sorry, but I am not sure what dolby/audio settings I would adjust on the Shield OS. As every other app recognizes all of the speakers in my setup properly and plays the volume at a similar level compared to the Channels DVR app.

I just checked in the Display/Sound settings and I have the sound settings set for the "Available Formats" and the "Auto Output" set to Auto (recommended). The Stereo Upmix is turned off.

I was never able to resolve this issue either. I thought it was an issue with my surround receiver and the hdmi input but my xbox is connected to the receiver with an hdmi cable and the sound is normal. I have just gotten used to having to raise the volume when changing to tv and lowering the volume before changing inputs on the receiver. I have a NAD receiver, what brand is yours?

Ah okay. That's a shame. I definitely would need to increase the volume if I had company over. My setup is Samsung TV to Yahama AV Receiver to NVIDIA Shield.