Mac Mini as DVR server

Obviously, I wasn't asking anyone to give me specifics on what it's going to cost me. I was asking in general for others who have Mac Mini's. You kind of need to understand what's being asked before you reply. What's exactly your purpose for responding? Who cares if it takes up space in my mind? I'm free to ask whatever questions I'd like. I'm not sure what your goal here is to do other than be disruptive? I appreciate replies from those willing to actually help.

@pdaphone I'm thinking about switching to an external SSD do in the next couple of months. Thanks for the time on the smart plug. That's a good idea.

Did you ever get to a conclusion about this?

it has 8 cores, and fast ones at that. Starting with 2, and working up as needed, is fine.

Unless you're batching up a huge import or something, it's not worth maxxing this out.

It has 4 performance cores (very fast) and 4 efficiency cores (not so fast but very low energy use).

This is unusual (unique?!) among personal computers. So I'm wondering how the thread count setting behaves in regards to this unusual arrangement.

The reason for posting a question here about it is that I was thinking that perhaps others have gone through a process of experimentation and may have some insight into what an optimal setting is in different scenarios that perhaps I could benefit from rather than doing it all my self from scratch.

...and my point is that it's likely moot, unless you're batching a huge amount of content through it at once.

I believe this is on a single core: