Mac Mini M1 disk speed?

For someone who already has a Mac Mini M1 -- how fast is the factory internal drive?

Based on the published specs it looks like the factory internal drive is SSD, not HDD, so if you download something like the Blackmagic speed test -- I wonder if the internal drive is SATA based and will top out about 400-500 MBs or is NVMe based and may top out about 2000-3500 MBs.

Can someone run a test and post results? Thanks!

Short answer is it’s in the range of 2000-3000 MB/s. Long answer here:

M1 SSDs fail fast i read.

I think the jury is still out on whether or not that’s going to be a real issue.

Lol none of those drives have failed. There’s just a mysterious write issue.

Every one should finally calm down about write limits on modern SSDs. It’s like burn in on TVs. No one forgets the early issues after they’ve been fixed.

Does anyone know anyone with a modern SSD that died because it ran out of writes?

2 Likes

Well, my work place has gotten many of the M1 units back from customers, and I and others test them and the program we use, along with DriveDX, says they are failed, or very worn, below 50% life left....and they are only 2 months old.

A ssd's life is can old be as good if it is made well...we have used ssds that don't last 3 months, like recently, Mushkin 2.5in ssds 500gb and 1tb, most have failed repeatedly and we have gotten returns/repairs request. And, we work with, and get them from the manufacture direct. They investigated and stated, they found Apple computers are far more picky on ssd quality as they stuck the same "failed" ssds into pcs and they worked with Windows fine, but a macbook or Apple computer would not even install the os on it, and error out. They then sent us a batch of ones that they claim have "tighter manufacture tolerances" and so far, appear to work and not fail.