Mac to Synology

I am completely lost. I have an iMac running Channels DVR server for years successfully. I want to move my recording settings (passes) and recordings to a new Channels DVR server on the new Synology DS720+ running DSM 7.1

I have read every thread on your forum and I can’t figure it out. I followed instructions to make an up to date database backup and saved it to my iMac.

I then installed the Channels server on my Synology. When I open the package it wants the path to restore the database. It will not let me choose from the iMac. All the paths offered are from the Synology. Is there some way to get the database that I saved on my iMac into the Synology so I can restore from it?

Thanks,
Rich

1 Like

If you still have questions after reading through their support article, post them.

1 Like

I’ve read this numerous times. Please specifically give steps that allow me to see the latest database that I stored on my iMac and how to make the Synology Channels Server see it when I attempt to restore. Thx

Can you just copy your ChannelsDVR/Database folder (and sub-folders) from your iMac to your Synology? Either that or you'll have to share the folder and somehow mount it to the Synology so it's available there. Once it can be "seen", Channels should also be able to use it for the restore.

I went through a similar move (from a Pi to my DS220+) and it was pretty easy to do.

You need to copy all your recordings and backup dats to the NAS

I am fairly new to Synology NAS. How do I copy the database to the NAS and do I put it in the shared Channels DVR folder? Again the question I need answered is a step by step how you move files from iMac to NAS.

True - I assumed that the recordings had already been copied and the OP was just trying to figure out how to get the Channels Database backup there.

One of the easiest ways to copy anything from the iMac to the Synology would be to use the Synology web interface/"File Station" from the iMac, and you can then upload from the iMac to the NAS.

Managed to get recordings into new channels dvr on NAS but now getting error message -13 recording not found.
File station shows channelslDVR/tv as path and files are there but on the interface on my tv it says can’t be found.

2 Likes

Since there’s a lot of disk activity going on I’m wondering if the files are being copied during the restore since some of the files are not generating that message and open and play fine. Also a current test recording from the guide is working fine. Thoughts?

1 Like

The restore does not copy files. Check the dvr log to see if there is an error. Either the files are not in the right place or the permissions are wrong.

When you're copying using the Synology web interface, there should be something that shows the progress of the file(s) move/copy. Maybe some of your files still have not copied? There is a small notifications tray in the top right of the synology desktop in the browser - check there to see if things are still in-progress. I wouldn't expect to see heavy disk activity unless files are still being written.

1 Like

All seems to be working. Maybe the “not found” files had been previously trashed. Many things were happening at the same time over the last few days. However I can currently record and playback new recordings and my passes appear to be intact. It was only Z few unimportant recorded shows lost that again I might have trashed in the last few days.
Thank you for you help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.