MacMini or Synology? Better Platform for DVR?

Is there a preferred ranking of what platform you should choose for your DVR?

I'm currently using an old Synology DVR (DS214 Play) as my DVR. Seems to work fine.
I'm also going to have an Intel MacMini that will be available soon.

Which one would be considered higher performance? My assumption is the Mac. The Synology is just a little Intel Atom processor.

Is there a preferred platform?

Thanks!

The mac will be better, especially if you plan to use in-browser or away-from-home watching which requires transcoding.

How about the same question of a new Synology DS220+ versus a 5 year old Mac Mini. Would the old Mac Mini be better for in-browser or away-from-home viewing? I'm thinking of getting the DS220+ upgraded with 6GB or RAM.

You can google the two intel cpu models and get a nice comparison. Hard to say without the actual specs.

I am using a 2012 entry level Mac mini as the DVR for commercial detection as well as remote viewing when required. Its also doing a NVR job for a bunch of cameras

I been using a DS720+ with upgraded ram and it doesn't miss a beat. I run my Channels DVR, Emby, backup for one Mac time machine and at least two Docker images. The backups I run at night so it won't interfere with anything else. Be it that the mac mini is still pretty powerful machine even 5 years later. I just lost My IMac 2010 and it was a work hoarse till the day it died. I replaced it with a Mac Mini.

1 Like