MacOS External USB Storage Permissions Issue

Brand new here - moving away from Comcast and TiVo. I'm excited to get Channels DVR set up, but I've run into a brick wall of sorts. Apologies if I missed it, but I've spent a couple of hours searching here and elsewhere however I cannot find a clear answer to the issue.

I'm setting up Channels DVR on an older iMac running macOS Catalina v10.15.7. When I try to set up the recording directory on an external HD (Seagate 8TB USB 3.0) I get the following message:

"Error: unable to create dvr directory: mkdir /Volumes/DVRs/channels-data: operation not permitted"

I've tried changing the USB drive's formatting (Mac OS Extended, APFS), folder names/locations, R/W permissions, sharing for files, media, etc. No matter what I do I immediately receive the same message when I attempt to associate Channels DVR with the external drive.

I was able to create a folder on the internal HD and set up Channels DVR to use it successfully, however it's a 1TB SSD and I'd prefer to use the larger external HD. From all I've read this setup should work, but...

I'd be very grateful for any assistance.

TIA!

Go to system settings under privacy and grant access to removable drives

That (more or less) did it!

More or less because it's just slightly different with macOS Catalina - hadn't used it in a couple of years but I got the gist of it and dug around. It's under System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders. Found the external drive and checked "Removable Volumes". Ta-dah!

Now I have to sort out why some of the channels from the providers aren't showing up. But that's for another day.

Thanks very much, it's truly appreciated! :pray:

1 Like