Manage/Show who is using/what is playing on HDHomeRun

I have been using Channels exclusively for TVE for a while-- and I just got a HDHR-US. Integration with Channels works great.

I notice that if someone else is using the hdhr, other clients (firetv) get a generic "Playback Failed" message on the screen.

Can you add more information to that?

I have the "Tuner sharing" enabled on all clients, so the feed should be going through the dvr server---

It'd be nice if the screen said something like "No Tuners available-- Channel 3.1 being watched by Joe's FireTV at 192.168.0.2".

It'd also be nice if that same information was displayed in the Activity section of Settings page.

EDIT: This would work really nicely with the option to kick a remote user from watching. For example, a remote firetv could be playing a channel using my HDHR but the TV is actually off-- it'd be nice if I could scroll through each watcher and choose to stop their stream so that I can take the tuner.

Like this for someone with a 4-tuner OTA and 3-tuner Cable tuner?
No Tuners available;
Channel 3.1 being watched by Joe's FireTV at 192.168.0.2
Channel 9.1 being watched by Mary's AppleTV at 192.168.0.12
Channel 706 being watched by Andy's Laptop at 192.168.0.3
Channel 813 being watched by Aunt Martha's Chromebook remotely at 207.12.196.88
Channel 12.1 being recorded by jkister's Channels DVR at 192.168.0.4
Channel 48.1 being recorded by jkister's Channels DVR at 192.168.0.4
Channel 523 being watched by Shelly's iPad at 192.168.0.7

Yeah, i think that would be very good. didnt even think of explaining a tuner being used for a recording.

While I agree such a feature would be nice if made available in the clients, as long as tuner sharing is enabled across all clients, this information is on the DVR.

You can visit the DVR's web UI and it will identify which client IPs are accessing which channels on which devices (including signal information for HDHR tuners). While this does not identify clients by name, nor does it display in the client app, it is available.

Perhaps something can be done in the future to make this more user-friendly.

I second the want for having the client name listed with the IP address. Its so much easier to identify which client it is.

If you visit the Clients tab of the web UI it will show you all the client devices that have connected, along with their IP addresses.

Not quite the same as having them replaced in the Activity section, but it is something.

Thank you. Yeah, Im aware that its there but for it to be useful in this context having the name with the IP is the only convenient way in my opinion. Not a huge deal, but when Im trying to test settings etc, it just makes it so much more useful than a notepad with IP addresses on it.

As of the latest DVR pre-release, the activity view now shows the client name, not the IP address of the device doing the activity. Additionally, it does a better job showing the content playing, rather than just the filename.

4 Likes