Mass rename feature

As the title says, I would like a way to basically mass rename all the files I've imported.

I've spent the weekend ripping all my Bluerays and have imported them into channels just fine. However, a lot of the video files have really long names. While it works just fine, the filename sometimes clips through other text in the channels DVR webpage.

So my idea here is to have a button that says 'Rename series files' and when you click it, it essentially goes through all the series' files and renames them by the title of the season + episode. For example, for Brooklyn 99 season 1:

Pilot-1-1.extension
The_Tagger-1-2.extension
The_Slump-1-3.extension

My guess is that this isn't hard to do as channels must already be reading the metadata of the files to grab the episode names?

We'll just make sure it doesn't overflow like that. You shouldn't be concerned with filenames, much less because they're too long in the web admin. We can handle the presentation to make it better.

Or if you really want to, you could use software designed for this very purpose , google FileBot :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for filebot - setup a couple of simple scripts and it auto renames movies in my preferred format and moves them into the folder channels monitors.

+1.

Last year I did a mass rename of my downloads from.cough online sources. As long as itvdetects the correct show its super great. If detects wrong show, you can redirect it to correct show.

You can also have file bot downoad *.srt files for your shows/movies too. This is the second best features for File Bot.

I would recommend renaming everything with plex file name structure. I have used FileBot on aprox 14TB of content. Channels handles the renamed files fine.

We'll just make sure it doesn't overflow like that. You shouldn't be concerned with filenames, much less because they're too long in the web admin. We can handle the presentation to make it better.

If we could upload a custom css file / code to style up the admin it would be nice

Can you post a screenshot of what this looks like and where you're seeing it?

Happens for me inside TV/Movies, just follow these steps:
Click Library > Click Movies / TV Shows > Resize the window

If the filename is long it will clip over the name of the episode or movie name

I could do a real nice job at styling this all up properly.. if you guys needed help with that kind of thing

Can you just give me the URL you are at in the web admin?

The click path you provided takes you to the /admin/browse/movies view which doesn't show filenames at all.

I've already renamed everything unfortunately, but if you go here /admin/shows/(show name) and have an episode with a long file name, unless your browser is full screen it will clip through the episode number.