Mibox Oreo Stutter on sports channels

I have 4 miboxes all updated to Oreo. Channels plays fine on regular tv, but sports like soccer are unwatchable via the Channels TV app. Constant freezing and stuttering. I’m getting over 75 Mbps on these boxes and everything plays fine with Plex Live TV and Google Live Channels. Surround sound is turned off. I tried rebooting several times too. I am using public release from Play Store.

Can you describe the behavior in more detail? Does the video freeze every few seconds and then resume?

Were you using the app before upgrading to Oreo? Did it work before?

It freezes and stutters more like every 2 seconds. he motion was never smooth at any point. I just started using the app yesterday.

Okay thanks for the info. I will release a fix to the beta soon and let you know so you can try it.

Can you check for me if FOX and ABC work okay for you? And does the same stutter problem happen on NBC and CBS?

I will check, but this seems sports dependent so it will take a little while to report.

What hdhomerun model are you using? Can you tell me which channels show the problem? On the HDHR web UI channel lineup page, does it say “AVC” next to any of those channels?

Please also click the Submit Diagnostics button on the Player Settings tab after you see the issue and then post here once the logs have uploaded.

Looks like my problem is bigger. Seems like the stuttering and freezing is on most channels. Even with strong wifi. Live Channels and Plex are not experiencing these issues at the same time as Channels. I sent a few video player logs over.

Thanks for the logs. I see the problem and will release a fix.

I’ve uploaded a beta build (v102) with a fix. You can opt-in to the beta on https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.getchannels.app and it should install on your MiBoxes automatically. Let me know if it helps.

I will test it out today. Thank you.

1 Like

Huge improvement. I’ll keep watching and report. But I could tell the difference immediately.

1 Like

Great! Let me know if you have any other issues and submit diagnostics so I can check.

There are only some fluidity issues now. Micro stutters are prevalent on all channels, maybe every 10-20 seconds. There’s no real pattern. I did A/B comparisons to Live Channels. The Live Channels picture is fluid watching the same programming. I will send some logs.

1 Like

Thanks I see another problem in the logs you submitted. I will work on a fix and update the beta.

Btw do you have Surround Sound on or off now? Can you try turning it back on?

I don’t have any miboxes connected to surround systems. I use Shields in those. But I can test and send the logs to you if you will find it helpful. Let me know.

Logs sent.

Seems like it performs slightly better with surround sound on.

We recommend Surround Sound enabled on MiBox too, even if there is no Dolby equipment. It uses a more optimized way of playing audio supported by Android.

I’ve uploaded beta build v104. Please let me know how it performs for you.