Microsoft killing off Windows Subsystem for Android

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Yep also with Windows 10 reaching EOL ... forcing users to get new equipment tun run windows. 11 it is all about the money.

EOL of Windows getting shorter and shorter. They want you to subscribe to continue getting security updates.

1 Like

Booo! Although I guess I'm not terribly surprised. Literally the only thing I was regularly using it for was ChannelsDVR. I liked it better than the web-based interface.

Oh well. It'll work for another year, I suppose.

Dear Customer,

We are writing to inform you about changes to the availability of Amazon Appstore on Windows 11.

Starting March 6, 2024, Amazon Appstore will no longer be available for download from the Microsoft Store on Windows 11 devices. After March 5, 2025, Amazon Appstore on Windows 11 and any apps downloaded from it will not be supported. For additional details and insights into this transition, please read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section: www.amazon.com/appstoreonwindowsFAQ

After trying to get rid of every trace of Onedrive on a recent Windows 11 machine, I'm about done with Microsoft all together. What a nightmare.

I'm going to hang on to Win 10 LTSC for as long as it will run.

1 Like

Yeah a lot of my Clients that I provide PC support for were calling me about full Emails due to changes in onedrive.

Here is a list of options to run Android on a PC.
How to install Android on PC: These are your best options by Android Authority
I've been happy with BlueStacks and that's what I'm running on my laptop and use when I'm traveling. On my pc, I may try Android Studio, bloated as it includes the developer tools yet fully supported and updated by Google.

Eh...WSL is a mess in general to deal with. The best android experience is always gonna be with a real android device.

Microsoft has enough problems with WSL Linux. I didn't expect them to get WSL Android right anyways...

I was wondering about that email I got from Amazon last night about ending support for the store on Windows, so now it makes much more sense!

I was scared when I started reading this thread that they were killing WSL, but it seems to just be limited to WSA, so all my Docker stuff will thankfully continue to run! I did not want to go back to a separate Linux machine just for that stuff.

It's been so long since I've tried Android Emulators on Windows, I'm not looking forward to testing and relearning to figure out the best option. Still, I never really did much with it, anyway, as anything I do has a web workaround to begin with. It was mostly useful with testing Channels client stuff without turning on a TV in another room.