Missing ABC HD from Guide - Yet is in DVR and App Channel List

Hi folks:

I'm working through some bugs after my channel lineup changed from my cable provider.

Originally I was having problems getting TVE channel list updated in the ATV App. But deleting all apps and reinstalling solved that problem (fortunately.)

However, I'm left with an even more perplexing problem. As I was trying to fix my TVE channel lineup issue I seem to have blown away traditional ABC HD from my guide list.

Here is the weird thing:
-If I log into DVR Server on my NAS I see it in the DVR Server guide as expected.It is favorited as expected.
-On DVR Server settings, I see ABC HD in my channel list on my HDHR Prime under "Sources". Favorited as expected.
-When I got to any of my 3 ATV Apps I can go into Settings->Manage Sources and see the channel listed and favorited in the channel list.
-Yet when I go to my guide, on any of my 3 ATV's, it is missing. It doesn't matter if I look at "All Channels", "HD Channels", or "Favorites." It is missing on each guide list for ATV.
-If I use my remote to type in the channel number it will tune to the channel fine. It just isn't in the guide list. The guide "Skips" it in the list of channels.

This is a huge problem as this is our primary channel to watch news. Any idea how I can get it back?

I have to say, as much as I like channels I find the guide to be pretty buggy when channel lists / packages change. It doesn't seem to manage these changes well.

Thanks all.

The clients merge duplicates together. Do you have the source priority in the clients set exactly the same as in the server? If you have ABC in another source and it is favorited there as well, the source with the higher priority “wins” and will be shown in the guide and the others will vanish. I think.

Yeah except it doesn't show at all even if it isn't favorited, even on the "All Channels" part of the guide.

To answer your question, TVE is priority source and ABCHD in TVE is favorited on TVE. HDHR Prime Source also shows ABCHD as favorited. But this is no different than any other channel like CNN, Comedy Central, etc. I've got all those channels favorited on both sources and they all show up in the list.

ABCHD has vanished from my apple TV guide despite it showing in DVR Server channel list / channel guide and on ATV Source Channel Lists. HELP!

This is really frustrating. It is correct on DVR Server. Just not in any of my apps.

Welp...I got it back. Per your recommendation I went into the TVE Channel List and "hid" ABC HD. This then made ABC HD re-appear on my ATV Guide.

I have no idea why ABC HD disappears from my ATV Guide when I make it visible on TVE. No other channel does this.

I used to have my HDHR Prime as my "primary" source but recently changed it to TVE so that most of my wife's recordings on cable channel will pull from TVE (internet) vs using a HDHR Tuner. So I want TVE to take priority for recordings...but not for "viewing".

Make sense?

Any idea why this just happened to ABC-HD and not my other channels?

Weird

So when it wasn’t hidden you didn’t see it anywhere in the 6000s? That’s where the TVE channels should appear.

Yes ABC-HD was shown in the TVE channels in the 6000s. But it vanished from my regular HD cable in the 700s. Yet NBC, CNN, SYFY, etc etc were still listed in both as they should be.

I switched the TVE source as primary to make sure TVE was primarily used when possible for recordings so as not to use up Tuners from my HDHomeRun should I be recording a lot of things at once. But it seemed to have the unintended consequence of killing ABC.

I don’t care about seeing abc twice in the guide. I want the option of watching it either on Cable or TVE and not be forced to choose one or the other.

My understanding is the clients will merge channels that seem to be duplicates, and you will only see the highest priority one in the guide. If there are other channels that it’s showing multiple copies of, the guide data or something must be different enough that it thinks they are different channels. There is no way to alter the merging behavior I don’t believe. Hopefully somebody will come along and correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Thanks all. Well it turns out this whole thing was user error on my end.

I didn't realize that when I have the same channel listed on TVE and my Cable via HDHR Prime that the guide will "hide" the secondary, duplicate channel. I missed this because it doesn't do this consistently. Example: It hid duplicates of ABC, PBS, Bravo, and a few others. But missed Hallmark, CNN, and several more. Weird how it only does this for some of the channels but not others.

I got my channels back by making my HDHR Prime the primary source. That fixed it.

I embarked down this path because I was trying to force the DVR to use TVE as the primary source for recordings. But I wanted cable to be the primary source for viewing. That way recordings don't use one of the 3 tuners on my HDHR Prime. (My wife records a lot of Bravo and Hallmark.)

I'll just have to suck it up and use HDHR as my primary. If I run out of tuners then hopefully the channel I want to watch live is on TVE.

There is good news. The client and DVR priorities can be different. So, you can set TVE as higher priority on the DVR server, and it will be used first for recordings. You can then set the prime as highest priority in your clients and it will be preferred for live viewing.

2 Likes

Thanks! I did not know this. Makes total sense, but didn't realize this was how the system worked. I've now put TVE as primary source on DVR server and HDHR Prime on Apple TV. Seems to work!

1 Like